"Use Local Origin as World Origin" seems to not always work?

Started by WormSlayer, August 30, 2018, 02:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WormSlayer

I am trying to export a few models from the same map/max file, but in the resulting mdl files, some of them have their origin centred, while others have it offset, like its using the world origin and not local?

I've been kicking it around for a while now but I cant see any difference in how I set up the ones that are working as expected...  ???

wallworm

I need more info. Local Origin always works for me. Can you provide a Max scene with this problem?

WormSlayer

wallworm

I have found the issue. When a model is using a Skin modifier, it gets offset because the skin changes the positions of verts based on bones. This is as expected and creates proper results in normal cases (where the Skin has Bones assigned to it).

The reason your prop is incorrect is that the Skin has no bones assigned.

You solution is to either add bones into the skin or to remove the skin modifier.

I will update the exporter to check for the skin having bones before offsetting in an update. However, adding a Skin modifier without bones should not really be something you do. There should always be bones or there should be no Skin.

WormSlayer

Oh weird, I'm not even sure why those props have skin modifiers XD

wallworm

I also forgot to mention another issue there was with your scene--it is in centimeters. However, Max aligns with Source when each unit equals one inch. You should change you setup to use inches.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk