flashing textures

Started by tawdarky, June 03, 2013, 10:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tawdarky

I made some 3d models and the textures are flashing.What did i do wrong?They do the same thing in the game.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4574/flashdi.jpg

wallworm

I'm not 100% sure what I am looking at. Can you describe "flashing" a little more? Is the material transparent and/or 2-sided? It could play a role. If the bitmap is semi-transparent but you don't want it to be at export, the best thing is to go to the bitmap node and chose none/opaque for the alpha setting. Also, you can go to global ww settings and turn on option for Force Opaque VMT if Model $opaque ... then update your WWMT helper to have the $opaque setting. In either event, you'd need to re-export the VMT.

tawdarky

Quote from: wallworm on June 03, 2013, 11:04:05 PM
I'm not 100% sure what I am looking at. Can you describe "flashing" a little more? Is the material transparent and/or 2-sided? It could play a role. If the bitmap is semi-transparent but you don't want it to be at export, the best thing is to go to the bitmap node and chose none/opaque for the alpha setting. Also, you can go to global ww settings and turn on option for Force Opaque VMT if Model $opaque ... then update your WWMT helper to have the $opaque setting. In either event, you'd need to re-export the VMT.

No the texture is not transparent.For example a simple white texture applyed on the object is "flickering", i think this is actualy the correct term do describe not flashing.
I does exactly what happens in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6DfNOQ9W9k

wallworm

Hmmm... I've never seen that problem.

To see if there is something wrong with the models themselves, you'll have to send me one of those that has this problem.

wallworm

I received your file and looked at it. I am pretty certain this is the problem: the model has coincidental/duplicate faces.

For example, look at Object005 ... and then Faces #267 and #268. They are occupying the same space.

I have a feeling that this is primarily resulting from importing models from "unclean" sources. I noticed that the bookshelf was almost 1/4 MILLION tris... which is insanely ridiculous for a bookshelf in a game. I personally would allow the shelf to be up to a few thousand tris depending on how important it is... but if less important probably as low as 100 tris. Give it some thought :)

tawdarky

Quote from: wallworm on June 04, 2013, 10:17:22 PM
I received your file and looked at it. I am pretty certain this is the problem: the model has coincidental/duplicate faces.

For example, look at Object005 ... and then Faces #267 and #268. They are occupying the same space.

I have a feeling that this is primarily resulting from importing models from "unclean" sources. I noticed that the bookshelf was almost 1/4 MILLION tris... which is insanely ridiculous for a bookshelf in a game. I personally would allow the shelf to be up to a few thousand tris depending on how important it is... but if less important probably as low as 100 tris. Give it some thought :)

It's not imported i made it from scratch.I wanted to make it detailed.So what can i do to get rid of the bug?

wallworm

You can delete one of the two faces. If they are textured differently and you need them both (for example if each side is a different texture but I couldn't tell as there were no textures in scene sent) you may just move them so they aren't occupying the same space.

That is what I presume will fix it.

Regarding the high detail... there are of course no rules. I'm just giving my own opinion about mesh density. A lot of detail can be faked by baking it into the textures. Look into projection mapping and render to texture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk