Exporting seems to mess up skeleton?

Started by lolnarwhals, June 20, 2013, 04:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lolnarwhals

Let me start by saying I'm not at all good with 3ds max or just modeling tech in general, and i just recently started learning about it, so this may very well be my fault somehow.

So i start with a perfectly functional skeleton, it imports properly into 3ds max, as well as a few other programs, this is what it looks like:

I imported it with none of the options checked, just a straight import of the original, functional skeleton. However when i export it, it ads the original model as a bone, and it messed up all the bones in different ways, it also produces a runtime error in this specific case, but not other times when the bones were similarly messed up

I have tried to figure out what the problem was, but all i managed to do was mess it up in other forms, I have looked around for hours looking to find the problem but couldn't. What i don't understand is that i import and export with no changes at all, atleast i don't believe so, and it still gets messed up.

It would be like opening a picture in photoshop, saving it as a different name, and then the new picture is distorted and has different colors.

Is this my fault or is there something wrong?

wallworm

I am sorry about your problem. I will look at it this weekend when I've got a little more time. I'm in the middle of a major feature update for Wall Worm as well as my work projects.

lolnarwhals

Any progress in figuring out the issue?

wallworm

No... I did download the file and test it yesterday morning but could not find out why it errs. However... the errors I received were different than those you demonstrated in the screen shots (my bones never flew off to the wrong places).

What version of Max do you have and are you using the latest service pack for Max?

I am not 100% but think this is related to something in the way the SMD importer creates the model/rig. The SMD Importer is one of the few things in WW that I did not create myself (it was graciously donated by Corey Nguyen/MarioKart from the Facepunch forums). I added it into WW with his permission and tweaked it a little since so many people wanted an SMD importer... but it was never a priority of mine since I like to create content from scratch inside Max.

I will continue to look at the problem but am not sure when it will be alleviated. At the moment I am tied up in work on another WW update that may be out later today.

As a test, have you tried to create a model from scratch (creating your own rig/model/skin)?

lolnarwhals

The errors I had varied a lot, sometimes they would go to the bottom center, sometimes they would go upwards and look malformed, one problem is that the model somehow became a bone.

I am using 2013 with the latest versions of WWMT

I can create models and rig them just fine in 3ds max, i can import already made rigged models and they work completely fine in max 3ds and other programs.

The problem comes when I export, I can import a model and do whatever i want with it while it's still opened, or I can just make no changes at all and when i export it, the model becomes a bone and all the bones get messed up.

For what its worth the rigging actually stays fine I believe, even with the messed up bones when the rig is animated the model moves, it looks horrific but it shows that the model is still attached to the bones.

thank you for looking into it.

wallworm

Just to clarify as I am actually not 100% I've read this correctly...

Is the problem only isolated to the exported models (when you open in Source) or are the bones actually getting messed up inside Max when you export the model? Can you clarify the exact steps you are taking, what you are seeing at each step, and exactly where the error is?

Based on the screen shot, it almost seems like you are saying that when you export the model, it is immediately getting messed up inside 3ds Max! Is this correct? Or are you saying that the exported model is messed up and that if you re-import that model, it's bones are wrong? Clarifying this could potentially help me solve it.

lolnarwhals

It doesn't immediately get messed up.

What I've been doing is importing a pre-rigged model, or even just the skeleton without the model. I can export it It creates the file alright, the original rig stays just fine and I can edit it or export it again.

However when I open the exported file it's all messed up. It opens fine but the bones don't resemble the original. And also I have noticed that the model itself became a bone, so if the model was named "Skeleton" there would be a new bone in the mess named "skeleton"

I think that may be my fault with one of the options, but I don't understand why the original bones get so messed up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk