Animated Model's Collision Model Rotating 90 Degree

Started by ali_azem, September 09, 2018, 05:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ali_azem

I made a animated lift like Half Life 1. Animation, collision model and adding skin modifier to collition model  is ok but after export when i check in game the model's collision model has been rotate 90 degree. I remade collision model many time. But nothing happen. How can I fix it this problem? (Note: I don't use WallWorm Hull Helper because when i  made with Hull Helper after export engine has converted concave hull to convex.)

Joris Ceoen

One of the possible reasons could be that the collision model itself isn't having the same pivot point axis as your actual model (so the XYZ-directions should match the original model). This, however, would only be the case if it's a $collisionmodel (aka a static collision model that doesn't move with the model).

If you're talking about $collisionjoints, I'm not entirely sure what the reason could be. Seeing that you're using an animated model, I'm assuming this must be the case as I guess the collision should move with the animation as the elevator goes up and down. There's probably a setting you haven't ticked ON (or OFF), within the collisionmodel settings inside the WWMT menu. Try changing some to see if it produces other results. As I'm not on my new computer at this moment, I can't check out in detail what all the options are until tomorrow when I'm back.

Please update this post as you find new results!

EDIT: Another current workaround if you are in a hurry, but maybe not the ideal one, would be to recreate the collision model ROTATED the wrong way (90° opposite as the how it looks inside 3DS Max), so that it actually rotates properly inside Source.

wallworm

Try to make sure that the Rotate $origin option is off.

Other than that, make sure all hull pieces and bones are not scaled. Remember that each element of the hull should be skinned 100% to the bone it belongs to.

Also, there was bug with studiomdl.exe I reported to a Valve employee and he confirmed that bug where sometimes hulls are rotated incorrectly in game although they are correct in HLMV and the SMDs/QC are as expected. That was for CSGO. I will see if there was any news on that. Since I think this bug manifested around the time the CSGO studiomdl.exe added support for using FBX, you might consider exporting as FBX instead of SMD in WW (or even DMX if you have WW Pro).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk