3ds Max 2012 is Out

Started by wallworm, April 08, 2011, 12:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

3ds Max 2012 is now out. Unfortunately, I can't yet test anything in 2012 since I'm waiting for an updated license from Autodesk for my server.

As such, I cannot test anything yet.

I'm posting this because I'm starting to get emails about WWMT and the exporters in the new version. Please do not email me directly as I will post here the minute I have any concrete information regarding WWMT and the SMD exporters in Max 2012.

I assume that WWMT itself is going to work fine since it is all MAXScript. But...

I assume that the current SMD exporters will not work yet because I have read that 2012 breaks the SDK. I know that Wunderboy is already looking into an update for his exporter... and I assume that Cannonfodder will soon as well.

I'' share info as I get it here.

wallworm

So I finally got my license tonight. Woohoo! I'm loving it. The UVW tools seem to be optimized. Viewport performance is greatly enhanced in many scenes; in the map de_sacrilege, I was starting to reach a point where the viewport was lagging in Max 2011... when I opened the scene in Max 2012, it seemed to go extremely smoothly. I can't say that I've really run it through extensive tests, but my first impression is that I love it.

I did not even load Wall Worm into it yet since I'm still awaiting the updated SMD exporters. I've already heard from Wunderboy that there will be a 2012 exporter in the near future. Hopefully anyone using Wall Worm will remember to donate to him with the Donate button on his site... (the link is at the bottom of all pages here).

Since the majority of my most-used plugins are not yet out for 2012, I'm still going to be using 2011 for a while. But I can tell that Autodesk is moving in the right direction and am happy with where they are pushing Max (though I've seen in the Autodesk forums that they have still to address some critical bugs in CAT and have some initial bugs... I'm sure those will disappear with time as all new apps have some kinks in the armor).

wallworm

I've gotten word from Wunderboy that an updated SMD exporter is in the works for Max 2012. It will likely be a couple weeks at the least before that is out. But it will support CAT rigs (though it appears Autodesk still hasn't fixed the bugs in CAT 64bit).

No word yet from Cannonfodder on an update for his exporter.

wallworm

I have now gotten word from both Wunderboy and Cannonfodder that there will be SMD exporters for 2012 soon. No specifics on time, though.

I also found a MAXScript error that popped up in WWMT when running on 2012... so something in MAXScript has changed. I have patched it locally but have not yet loaded the fix to the site. I'll load it as soon as I have finished some other house cleaning.

wallworm

So I'm starting to get more inquiries about 3ds 2012 compatibility. I understand the desire (I've already been making similar inquiries with the plugins I use that aren't yet ported like Power Nurbs, PFTools and Glu3D...).

At the moment, there is a MAXScript error when using WWMT in 2012. I will release an update when the new SMD exporters for 2012 are released...

Please be patient. There are a few things to remember:

• WWMT uses 3rd party SMD Exporters that need recompiled to work in 2012
  • I (like Wunderboy and Cannonfodder) do this for free... and although I try to offer support, please understand that free software does not always come with expedient support...
  • There are still several critical bugs in 2012 anyway (CAT is still broken and there are many other new bugs)... so using 2011 is kind of necessary until a Hotfix or Service Pack comes out.

wallworm

I've updated WWMT to version 1.22 today that adds support for Max 2012. I have tested Cannonfodder's upcoming version that has 2012 support and know it works.

However... don't get too excited. There is a major bug in MAXScript. When Cannonfodder and Wunderboy release their exporters for 2012, you'll be able to use WWMT but it won't be as convenient as in older versions until Autodesk releases a hotfix for this known bug. Until that hotfix is released, here are instructions on using WWMT inside Max 2012.

wallworm

OK... I've been directed to a solution to the file lock bug. I've implemented it locally and am testing it. It seems to be good. Despite this error, I am happy  about 2012 overall. I was at first leery about the performance of the new UVW Editor... it looks really nice but I'm still deciding if it runs quick enough or not.

I got a chance to play around with Convexity in 2012... and my excitement is growing.

Anyway... I'll hopefully have an update this week with a couple new features and the fix for 2012 (of course, until Wunderboy and Cannonfodder officially release the updates... you'll still have to wait).

wallworm

3ds Max 2012 Hot Fix 1 is now out. You should install it immediately as it solves many of the initial bugs.

Also, in the next update to WWMT, I am removing the temporary fix for executing the compilers in 2012 that were needed for the initial release. Since the bug is fixed with the Hot Fix, I don't want to keep a segment of IF..THEN in the code that is irrelevant. So you'll need to install the Hot Fix to use WWMT on Max 2012 after the next WWMT update.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk