Question about bones

Started by Envoy, May 04, 2013, 10:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayback

The problem occurs once it has been exported into an fbx and back to 3dsmax.

I understand for biped, and i'm not suprised it's causing problem for the exporter.  :P
I tried doing a custom rig with my own bones for my character and linking it to the biped with no success, the strangeness of biped infected my rig once in source engine.
Before linking it to biped though, everything is fine in source engine.

For my needs, i am constrained because i have to keep the animations, that where done with biped and export them to source.
That's why biped is in my way, otherwise, i would make a clean rig for export.

I tried the rotate origin on my imported fbx but it causes the rig to be rotated 90 degrees to the side, and it also seems to change the position of the hands relative to the root bone.

I hope my explanations are clear enough to understand, please do not hesitate for clarifications,

Much thanks to you

wallworm

I downloaded the file and looked at it... the I got the bones to export in proper alignment with the mesh... but the weighting is all messed up at export. I am not sure what is wrong. The animation inside Max is odd as all the bones have a ton of keyframes but not actually animating... so to animate any bone I had to delete all of its keyframes. But since the weighting is wrong, the sequences in SOurce were out-of-whack.

I am not sure if there is something inherently wrong with the rig/mesh or something about it chokes WW. There is definitely something amiss but I am not certain of the cause in this case.

Anyway, I still plan on making a video soon... but will wait until I have an update soon that allows a rig to export along with the morphed head in one pass.

grayback

Excellent thank you for the response!

There are indeed some empty keyframes on the bones because of the biped. It was an animated biped that i turned into figure mode so that it would export from the origin of the scene.
For the weighting, it is just a fast skin i put without touching it so it's messed up from the start :)
Are you saying it's even more messed up inside source?

How did you get the bones to export aligned with the mesh?
A strange thing is that once the biped is back from the fbx file, the bones are now helpers. Do you think that could be part of the problem?

My goal is to get the character to export properly, and after that import the multiple animations inside Source filmmaker for each shot.
Here is the original project that we are trying to transfer over to Source FilmMaker : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luDR-dyCGbs
(The framerate is problematic in this old render, we didn't have enough budget so we cut on render times, so we need to render it again, long story short, we want to use SFM to save on the render times.)

Thank you!

wallworm

I am just checking up on this. Have you had any success yet? If not and you haven't updated lately, look at the latest updates to WW which now support CAT and Biped. Please follow that link with some useful information on preparing the model with those two systems... which I just updated with some new info on assigning a ragdoll bone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk