Future of WallWorm

Started by lauris47, June 11, 2020, 06:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauris47

Hi, I am wondering if WallWom will be updated in the future. I have a theory that this tool is heavily related to Black Mesa development?
Since the great Black Mesa is released, will there be a need for WallWorm developers to go further with updates?

This concern is deriving from that I try to import just-released CSGO updated maps. 3Ds Max 2018 and 2019 crashes.

wallworm

Wall Worm has continued to see updates. I just haven't updated the changelog as often as in past. I now work at Autodesk on 3ds Max itself, so my priorities have shifted. I'm still updating WW, but it is no longer my primary focus.

As for the maps that crash... are these raw VMF files or are they decompiled VMFs? Which maps?

lauris47

Interesting, and congrats on the position! it crashes on decompiled CSGO De Dust 2 VMF, that was released yesterday (2020-06-10).

lauris47

After 3 crashes it got imported, but not fully, props were missing and/or out of their positions. After, I am keep trying to import, but it crashes again and again.

wallworm

Is there an error message that comes with this crash? Hit f11 and get the entire error message (red text) and send to me. My best guess is that there is some bad data from the decompile. I never work with decompiled maps.

lauris47

I figured that crash happens when I mark "Import Missing Models From QC (SLOW)". I cannot get log as whole 3DsMax crashes clean and while it is importing, program is always not responding.
I will try to extract models to CSGO directory and see what happens - as without importing missing models from QC, some models are appearing as boxes.

wallworm

Just because it is not responding does not mean it has crashed. The option to import from QC can be extremely slow and appear to have crashed Max... but if left to its own devices, may actually complete (in a long time).

I would not use that option. Instead, I'd do it without that option, then select the props that do not import correctly to find out what models are failing. I suspect that these might be models that were paked into the BSP (which WW cannot read). If so, extract the MDLs from the BSP and place onto your file system in the path the model is needed.

lauris47

I always wait, and it crashes eventually if that option is marked. It wasn't happening on older maps with that option on. Specifically it is De Dust 2, released on 2020 10th of June. It worked fine with De Mirage, and I will need to do this on De Train as well.
I tried adding all extracted models (with their sub folders) to Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\models and changed to this directory in WallWorm settings too. After import, models appear as yellow squares on this map anyway.

I'll keep investigating, maybe I am doing something wrong.

lauris47

I got my problem partly solved, apparently I was not extracting embedded media from the map file itself when using BspSrc. However, not all models are imported or they are imported but misplaced.
I see random floating props in the map - wrong transforms I assume as some objects are not in their correct positions.
This is not dependent on extracting emended models, as I have seen this before using this option. They are not hidden test objects, but objects from random buildings.
I also tried importing props only via Create a Prop Zoo From VMF File, 3dsMax also crashes (On Dust 2).

wallworm

WIthout access to all the assets, I'm not sure about the issue. I generally do not spend time troubleshooting decompiled assets, though. For those props that are misplaced, you may need to manually fix their locations.

lauris47

I did that for this case. Although, some of the props in our client needs to be exactly as it is in CSGO. I will see how it is with the next CSGO update on maps. Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk