Materials and SMD's

Started by Tesseron, December 11, 2014, 05:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tesseron

I am trying to export an SMD with a materials assigned but It doesn't seem to work. I made a model in Max then exported the SMD to be compiled for a larger model. When it shows up in the model viewer the SMD is not textured...ok so I go and assign a texture with the material and export it but it doesn't export the SMD materials assigned so I did it manually by creating vtfs and vtms but they still showed up missing in model previewer so I am stuck. How do I export Textured SMD's?

wallworm

There are several resources on this topic on these forums if this doesn't answer enough.

1) Make sure you are using TGA bitmaps.

2) Make sure that you are using WW SMD Exporter in global settings.

3) Make sure to turn off all legacy material settings in global settings.

4) After any change to the Material's name or to the Model's Material Path will require the model to be recompiled AND the Materials and Textures to be re-exported.

5) If exporting to GMOD, you may need to copy the VTFs from the path that VTEX.exe created the VTFs into. GMOD is a special case. It's easiest to export into other mods like CSS, TF2, etc.

Tesseron

I read a page on the WW website stating that I needed to use the Shell material type for SMD's?

wallworm

If you read that, then you need to send me the link and passage, as that's totally incorrect. You can use a Shell material, but it's only the Baked Material in a Shell that is used when using a Shell... and that material must be one of the other allowed materials. Ultimately, the only material types that actually export are Standard and Blend.

Tesseron

http://dev.wallworm.com/document/70/export_textures.html I realized I had read it wrong but should I be using "Wall Worm SMD/VTA Exporter"or the "Wall Worm Model Tools"panel I have been using "Wall Worm SMD/VTA Exporter"?

wallworm

That is entirely up to you. I personally only use WWMT, not the standalone SMD Export dialog. WWMT is just a thousand times easier.

Tesseron

Thanks for your help it works now, I used "Wall Worm SMD/VTA Exporter" for exporting the SMD and then the "Wall Worm Model Tools"panel for the textures.  :) :) :) :)

wallworm

Glad you got it working.

I'd recommend only using WWMT for exporting as it keeps everything consistent and easier to manage if you come back to the file later or need to make changes. But each person must find what works best for them. I only added the standalone SMD export dialog because there are many people that asked for it... but as someone who knows the systems intimately, I'd never use it. I only use the WWMT UI.

wallworm

For reference, I updated and cleaned up the document linked above: http://dev.wallworm.com/document/70/export_textures.html . It was getting a little out-of-date .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk