Fire Extinguisher Housing

Started by Sir Irk, September 13, 2013, 08:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Irk

One of my first 3d models. I got sidetracked from working on it as I'm trying to figure out how to get the translucent glass texture to render in-game(works fine in model viewer and hammer). I plan to redo the hinges and detail the extinguisher more. I also don't like the texture on the handles and plan to change it to a chrome texture. This was my first successful attempt at getting specularity to work with the normal maps. Now if only I wasn't such an idiot about smoothing groups(I get the concept but can't apply it very well to even semi-complex geometry). 

The crates off to the side are a project I did before this. I haven't worked any further on those as they were intended for practice but I may improve them and actually use them.

wallworm

Great Job! Thanks for sharing.

Smoothing Groups (SGs) might seem a little odd at first. But after a little practice they are easy. Just think of it like this: If I want this group of faces to smooth into each other, select them all and apply a smoothing group. But instead of going into too much detail, I'll just refer you to the docs as it demonstrates best how it works: 3ds Max Smoothing Groups.

An alternative way of controlling smoothing is to edit the normal directly with an Edit Normals modifier. This gives you granular control. I recommend you use smoothing groups all the time and then use Edit Normals only when you have a specific effect that is hard to create with SGs.

Keep up the good work and keep sharing.

Sir Irk

Thanks for the info. And thanks for the wmmt and you're ongoing support on these forums. Seeing my own 3d model in-game is the part that puts a big smile on my face. I'll definitely be posting more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk