Using Face to Displacement causes 3ds Max's undo function to be disabled

Started by dessertmonkey, October 06, 2013, 04:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dessertmonkey

I have been working on a displacement heavy map using the method of blocking out with simple boxes similar to Hammer. I tend to keep the base brushes in another layer in case I need to do some drastic changes later but anyhow...

When I pick the faces that I want to convert to displacements, it does its thing without error. However, it also disables the undo function somehow. I can partly understand why since a script is doing a number of operations but it is aggravating to find yourself sculpting the displacements afterwards just to find you can undo anything!

Also, a side bug is that sometimes the planes that should appear when Move Mode is on are sometimes unhidden. Fortunately, I can easily hide them, especially with the help of the script Outliner that makes it alot easier to manage layers so it's more of a nuisance than anything else.

Oh, and I'm using 3ds Max 2013 (64-bit) with Product Update 6 installed if that helps.  :)

wallworm

I've got a fix for the Undo problem, which I will load later on tonight. Unfortunately, the fix means turning off undo for the displacement creation process... so if you make 50 displacements but want to Undo that... you are out of luck and have to delete them manually.

As for Move mode... the easiest way to fix this at moment is to toggle Move Mode a couple times.

dessertmonkey

That's fine, I keep the original brushes for that purpose anyway.

Of course, now I'm curious about the new quad displacements and the older triangulated displacements in the same map... technically, Hammer has them triangulated anyway but I don't want to see it have a fit about it and toss alot of them out. If that's the case, I'll stick with the older version if I have to for the current map I'm working on.

wallworm

To be safe, make sure your scene is saved ... but you should update the displacements. You can do this by first installing the new version of WW, running Anvil once, then running this function in the MAXScript listener:

wallworm_update_displacements()

This will updated existing displacements to the new versions.

New displacements have a button that will allow you to swap them back and forth between triangulated and quadrified. Make them triangulated when you need to see correct walkable surfaces. Use quadrified for easier poly modeling.

Again, save scene first just in case... but I've tested it with no incident.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk