3dsmax 9 install issues (From facepunch)

Started by glaber, October 22, 2013, 02:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glaber

Recently, I was having some trouble with getting the wallworm tools installed into 3ds max 9. Don't know why as the readme says it's supported, but regardless, I'm willing to test any fixes for 3dsmax 9.

anyway, the following was the most recent post on the issue copied over from Facepunch.

Quote from: wallworm;42560009After looking, it appears I've added some properties to some of the MacroScripts that did not exist until Max 2010. Since I cannot really test anything older than 2011, I'm not certain it is worth my time to chase down too many of these instances.

Your request is the first regarding Max 9 in a year or two... almost all users have newer versions. Is there any reason you have to stick with Max 9? The newer versions have some really cool enhancements.

In any event, will modify some of the scripts for this one particular case... but if there are a lot of incompatibilities with older Max, it probably won't warrant my time.

I stick with it as I have a perpetual license from buying the program and don't have to worry about the program expiring. This version is also very reliable and I rather not hunt down plugins every time I upgrade.

Plus I'm no longer a student at the college I went to.

Ok we are closer to this working.
But, now it's complaining that the config directory can't be created, and that it doesn't have permission to write to it.

By any chance, is there a manual work around I can do? (EX: I make the directory myself)

Also this is what showed up in the window I could copy:

if doesFileExist "$scripts/WallWorm.com/WallWormModelTools/ww_structs.ms" then (

include "$scripts/WallWorm.com/WallWormUtilities/addWWtoMaxMenu.ms."
global wallwormInstallation = true
include "$scripts/WallWorm.com/WallWormModelTools/ww_structs.ms"

include "$scripts/WallWorm.com/common/version_funcs.ms"

versions = wallworm_getMaxVersion()

if ((versions[1] == 14 OR versions[1] == 15) AND versions[2] <= 2) then (

messagebox "You are using a version of Max that requires an update to properly use Wall Worm. Please install the latest service pack for your 3ds Max to avoid problems with Wall Worm."

)

macros.run "wallworm.com" "WallWormModelToolsConfigMCR"

messageBox "Wall Worm now installed.\n\nNow please set up your paths."

) else (

messageBox "The installer only works if you have placed the Wall Worm Model Tools into the correct folder in the Max Scripts directory. Please read the installation instructions."
)

wallworm

Regarding the readme notes mentioning Max9... I have had people able to use Max9 in the past. But as the readme says:

QuoteWall Worm is confirmed to work in Max9+. However, I now only have access to 3ds Max 2010+ due to the way Subscription licensing works. So officially, I will only support versions for which I have a license...

That needs to be updated because now my license only goes back to Max 2011.

In any event, my best guess is this:

Open the MAXScript listener and paste this line and then hit ENTER:

(symbolicPaths.getPathValue "$userScripts")

Whatever path that outputs needs to be readable/writable by Max. If it doesn't exist, create it and run the installer again. Then let me know if it works.

glaber

wallworm

It isn't hard-coded into 3ds max. That code above outputs the path that Wall Worm uses. That path is a system variable dependent on your version of Windows. For Windows Vista/Windows 7 that is usually someplace like the following (of course replace your Max version and Windows Username):

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2014 - 64bit\ENU\scripts

So when Wall Worm installs, it uses native Max functions to write to that directory and creates a sub-folder called WallWorm.com with more sub-folders with various config files, entity caches, etc.

That is why I suggested you run that code listed above... as it will tell you the directory that is used on your system.

glaber

that's the directory it gave me.
so I tried making it writable, and it still says there is no config directory for the WWtools and that Manuscript lacks permissions to write to the appropriate directory

EDIT!

Ok, you're not going to believe this, but I managed to get to the actual set up part.

I think it actually installed!

Edit2

Ok it may have successfully installed, but I'm not sure about if saving settings will work or how to do that.

It still complains about the config directory and maxscript lacking permissions, but the tools now show up on the toolbar.

wallworm

glaber

I think so, but the pathways are locked on the pre-steam pipe location of Half Life 2. I don't know how to save the changes I make.

Edit:

They don't work. :'(

I tried importing a map, and if failed. I can only assume everything else has been modified past the point of compatibility With 9.

wallworm

That is certainly a possibility. I simply cannot test it and it's hard enough troubleshooting various things on versions of Max/Source that I use daily and can address in real-time.

I would strongly recommend upgrading. There are a huge number of major enhancements to Max itself. I've owned Max 2008+ and the features they've added in are really worth it. The tools I could not live without at this point include Viewport Canvas, better unwrapping tools, Slate material editor, pan/rotate in spline creation as well as poly cutting, much better viewport in Max 2013/2014 and the freeform tools in the graphite modeling toolbar. There are more but those are the things I could not live without now. I recently opened Gmax (basically Max 4 where I started) and found myself astounded on how many essential tools were missing from standard tools.

I know Max 9 is much newer, but all of the things listed above are mainly Max 2011+.

If it is not financially viable at this point and you are not working on anything commercially, you can get the Educational version for free at Students.AutoDesk.com.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk