PLEASE help me i'm going insane with this player model problem.

Started by CaptainCrazy, October 24, 2013, 12:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainCrazy

I spent all day trying to work it out, i even tried doing it the old ways using stupid studiocompile whatever it's called.

Whenever i try to inject:

$includemodel humans/male_shared.mdl
$includemodel humans/male_ss.mdl
$includemodel humans/male_gestures.mdl
$includemodel humans/male_postures.mdl

^^^^These seem to point to things that don't even exist?  I was following a tutorial by NOESIS which may also explain why it refuses to compile in studiocompiler.  I may also be having issues since the pipeline update because things don't seem to work as i remember.

Into the .QC of the player for DeathMatch, HLMV crashes but without it there's no animations at all.  I really want to try and get a decent or moderately stable workflow going between WWMT and Source when it comes to making player models.  Once i get it working i intend to make a Youtube tutorial teaching people how to do it.

I've compiled the model to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2 Deathmatch\hl2mp\models\humans_sdk\Male\Group03m.

I know i've asked for help already but this is driving me crazy, and since nobody has really tried to compile a player model using WWMT i'd really like to sort it out so i can see if it even works or if i'm doing something wrong.

Could somebody please post what i'd need to inject into the .QC for it to use DeathMatch animations so i can at least try trial and error?

I also noticed that K@RT had made a 'tank' model and put it into Source via WWMT so ummm yeh lol.

wallworm

I'm pretty busy with work at the moment. When I get time I'll detail the process.

The best bet in the meantime is experimentation.

CaptainCrazy

Quote from: wallworm on October 24, 2013, 03:55:58 PM
I'm pretty busy with work at the moment. When I get time I'll detail the process.

The best bet in the meantime is experimentation.

Well i managed to get it working, apparently it was missing a folder i had to extract from a GCF, only problem is now the texture wont work.  I think i'll try to do it with WWMT next to see if it works  :D

wallworm

Well certainly share your journey here when you've figured it all out. It will certainly help others.

CaptainCrazy

Quote from: wallworm on October 26, 2013, 12:19:48 AM
Well certainly share your journey here when you've figured it all out. It will certainly help others.

I'd still like to be able to do this with WallWorm but my main problem is that i don't know what i need to inject into the .QC file.  I mean i have the "template" .QC for the player model but i don't know what to take from it xD

Anyway i found that in order to use the animations from the game you want to make the player model for, you need to have said animations to begin with like:

$includemodel humans/male_shared.mdl
$includemodel humans/male_ss.mdl
$includemodel humans/male_gestures.mdl
$includemodel humans/male_postures.mdl

For me, and probably others, by default these folders weren't on my hard drive so the compile continued to fail.  So, in this case, i needed the humans for use in DeathMatch, to be in my modelsrc folder, in my case situated at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\myusername\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\models

So once i had extracted the humans folder into that directory, the .QC then actually had something to work with.

I may make a tutorial today as there really don't seem to be any decisive ones out there.  Might make it include rigging a simple character and putting it into the game.

However, as i said, i would like to be able to say that i'm confident in using 3DS Max/WWMT to do this as that is my first port of call when it comes to content creation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk