Battlefield 4

Started by wallworm, February 21, 2014, 03:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I think it's pretty unanimous (in my circle of friends) that 2142 was the best team game ever. That EA/DICE mismanaged some updates or purposefully killed the community is still up in the air as far as I know (I've not really researched it). It is odd considering how I continuously come across random posts, in-game chat or in-game talk where people who have played 2142 think so highly of it. And yet it's a dead game... How is it that such a loved game is dead?

Anyway, I've been playing Battlefield 4 regularly in the last couple of months. I have to say that visually, it is one of the best multiplayer games. The dynamic world is very impressive. The changing weather in  Paracel Storm and the Gulf of Oman are really cool.

I have really enjoyed BF4. There are many things about it that I really like, and it does fit my description of a really fun game. I'd rather play it than my longtime mistress CS on most nights.

Still, there are things missing from it that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's just my nostalgia for 2142. Maybe it was the uniqueness of the mild sci-fi in 2142 (EMP grenades, walkers, Titans...) Who knows. I really love BF4... but I'm still hoping for a BF2143.

That being said, the inclusion of the BF3 map Operation Firestorm has some elements that remind me of Shuhia Taiba in 2142 ... and although I never played BF, BF2 or BF3, I can start to see some of the various game design philosophies that must tie together the entire franchise.

Golmud Railway and Caspian Border have elements that remind me of Verdun.

If you want to play BF4 with some of the regular worms, look me up. My BF4 username is lightcube2000 . You can also join the WW Platoon.

I think I will always be leery of EA because of how 2142 was dropped. But 2142 and now BF4 are just so damn fun. Giving EA money for a game is a practice in fulfilling a guilty pleasure. It's kind of like paying a prostitute. You know it's probably wrong. But you are smiling all the way.

Infidel

Quote from: wallworm on February 21, 2014, 03:37:31 PM
It's kind of like paying a prostitute. You know it's probably wrong. But you are smiling all the way.

All I have to say is that I am telling Jen.

Other than that, despite money issues I still have a hard time coughing up money for EA.... who knows maybe I too shall give in to the double edged sword of EA/ Dice but as of now I am content to not cheat on my lady CS with a better looking but ultimately disappointing broad. Side note... is the reference to them being a prostitute the same as calling them a Wh...?

Beefaloaf

BF4 is damn fun, especially when you can break the slow build of monotony with open mic Ventrilo chat :)
Glad to have the WW guys on board, as such talent makes us look much better.

Due to an interest in future growth and other plans, we've split away from the [OLD] Old Guys.  Our new footing is located at www.rotten-banana.com.      (Battlelog)

No need to be afraid, it's only a banana.

Here's shameless plug to us having a bit of fun when the server was fairly empty.  Not sure who won the TK award.
BF4: Teamwork

Infidel

Well... now I have this bug as well thanks to the insurmountable pressure exuded by the Master of Wall Worm.
Another reason to sequester myself away in a dark room filled with flashing lighted screens before me as I delve into this game of chaotic death and victory and sling trash talk around the mumble server.
All the while my family wonder what is wrong with me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk