I'm having issues with my Normal Map

Started by Remer, February 22, 2014, 10:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remer

For some reason my Normal map looks weird. It's almost like it is missing. Pics - http://imgur.com/a/uqFqf

The first image is with the normals enabled. The second is it without normals.

Remer

This is my command line - http://i.imgur.com/gpq98rT.jpg

Instead of "SUCCESS" it says implicity disabling "nice" filtering. What does this even mean?

wallworm

The Valve texture compiler (which is the window you see) automatically assumes that any bitmap with the word "_normal" in it is a normal map, which is what it means when it says it is implicitly disabling the filtering (as you don't want the normal maps to get filtered and compressed like a diffuse texture).

As for seeing the normal, it's hard to tell for me. First, there is a broken image in that link (at least for me). Secondly, if you want to see the normal in HLMV you have to turn on that checkbox or you won't see it.

I'd need more details and/or the files to really answer the question.

Remer

Quote from: wallworm on February 23, 2014, 12:15:52 PM
The Valve texture compiler (which is the window you see) automatically assumes that any bitmap with the word "_normal" in it is a normal map, which is what it means when it says it is implicitly disabling the filtering (as you don't want the normal maps to get filtered and compressed like a diffuse texture).

As for seeing the normal, it's hard to tell for me. First, there is a broken image in that link (at least for me). Secondly, if you want to see the normal in HLMV you have to turn on that checkbox or you won't see it.

I'd need more details and/or the files to really answer the question.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for the lack of details and the broken image. Alright, so my model is made up of 4 unwrapped and textured meshes. Each of the materials has a normal, a diffuse, and a spec - http://imgur.com/a/dgbC6 The first image was taken in the source model viewer and the second is a 3Ds Max Render. This is the texture exporter window so you can see how my textures are named - http://i.imgur.com/ABGfAQH.jpg For some reason the normals on the rear sight, switch, and the hand guard are rendering correctly. However the base normal looks all messed up. I checked the VMTs and the file names and everything seems to be in order. I hope this clears my issue up. If you need more details or files let me know.

wallworm

I'm inserting the screen shot of your export window for easier discussion.

I don't know the problem directly, but here are some ideas and tips:

Tips:

1) The output path of all these files should be set to a specific path. In WW, the name of a bitmap node is the output path. In the window above, you are going to get each VTF in its own folder. Instead, set them all to something like nathangrove/mpnavy or the likes. The little ^ button will change the bitmap path to match the material's path.

2) In Source, when using a specular map AND a normal map, you have to store the specular map as the alpha channel of another bitmap. A common tactic when using Render To Texture is to bake the height into the alpha of the normal map... and then pipe the same bitmap from the normal into the specular level of your bitmap after creation.

3) The label EnvMap is actually wrong... I need to update the exporter dialog to say EnvMapMask. Just a piece of info on the dialog.

4) Sometimes some files won't load if the path + filename are too long. I haven't noticed this in CS:GO, but in older versions there was a limit of 22 characters, I think. In such cases, maps with a path/name like this/is/a/path/with/longnamedbitmapisrighthere.vtf could fail to load.

These are really the only things I can think of off the top of my head.

Remer

Dang. I tried all those things (I even tried just rebaking the normal.) Doesn't seem to work. I wonder why it is only the base that is messed up. The normals for all the other parts are doing just fine in source. Could it be that it is a 4096 x 4096 texture or something?

Remer

Alright so I think I found the issue. Does Wallworm have the ability to export normals that are over 2048? Because that was the only normal above that resolution and it was the only one that wasn't exporting. I tried manually converting the normal into a VTF (had to resize it to 2048 for it to work) and putting it in my "nathangrove" folder. It worked, just at a lower resolution. Anyway, thanks for helping with the organization, I'm really new to this :/ . This Wallworm tool is really amazing, truly a blessing for the modding community.

wallworm

I see.

Wall Worm has no limitation on large bitmaps. This makes me think that the compile process was just taking a while, as VTEX.exe can take longer with larger images. My guess is that if you wait long enough, the VTF will compile.

That being said, 4096 is really excessive. I've used 2048 in a couple things but that is usually overkill generally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk