[FIXED] Possible bug in 3ds Max SP4

Started by wallworm, March 01, 2014, 10:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I am not sure what is the source of this problem, but I have had some serious problems opening some Max scenes after updating to SP4 for 3ds Max. I am not sure if this is a problem with WW or a problem with SP4. I will share what I find when I know.

wallworm

I now know this is NOT a bug with Wall Worm. There is a bug at the moment regarding MassFX. I do not know if this is caused by one of these factors:

• Max 2014 SP4
  • Updating the nVidia video drivers to 334.89 (which installs PhysX 09.13.1220 )
  • Installing Rayfire 1.63 (previously had 1.62)

If you experience a crash to CER while loading some previously created scenes that use MassFX in any way, please report the bug and discuss here.

wallworm

After several tests on several files, I do not know the cause. I think that this bug seems to manifest when opening scenes that use the Rayfire Fragmenter Modifier and/or GrowFX (and possibly both). I've contacted both Rayfire and Exlevel (GrowFX) about this. Rayfire's Mir cannot reproduce the problem and files he sent me to test don't crash Max. And Exlevel will test their plugin tomorrow.

But at this time, I cannot say specifically what the source of this has been.

If you have this problem, here is a solution that works for me:

1) Copy the original file for backup.

2) Open Max to an empty scene.

3) Click File > Import > Merge and merge all objects from the original scene. Save this new file and use it instead of crashing file.

wallworm

3ds Max SP4 was removed from the Autodesk website. It appears that there were critical bugs that warranted the SP to be removed. Maybe this was one of them. So if you installed SP4 for Max 2014, you may want to remove SP4 and revert to SP3. That's what I am doing right now.

wallworm

All errors I encountered were alleviated when uninstalling SP4. And 3ds Max 2014 SP5 is already available, which works great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk