how can i make glass material or transperant for gmod

Started by omegadavid99, March 23, 2014, 06:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omegadavid99

title says it all. how can i make glass or transparent material for gmod?

omegadavid99

please someone tell me how to make glass material for gmod

CarbonCopyCat

Though there are lots of tutorials online on how to make glass or transparent materials for the source engine, I'll put together a simple
guide.

You will need:

an image editing program (such as Paint.NET, Photoshop, or GIMP)

VTFedit (available at  http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?c=178)

I'll be using Paint.NET for this, as it's free and the easiest to use. (available at )

When you first open the program, you will be greeted by a screen like this:

Take a moment to familiarize yourself with the layout; if any of the extra windows don't show up (such as the "Colors" or "Layers" windows), go to "Window" on the top bar, and then click the missing windows.

What you will need to do is create a new file (File>New) with the length and width being powers of 2 (such as 256x256, 512x512, or even non-square dimensions such as 512x1024), the size depending on how detailed you want your textures to be.

Now, with your new document, you need to delete your background (press ctrl+a, then press delete).
Your picture should now look like a white-and-grey checker pattern (which means that the image is transparent).

Now you can start to make the texture.
Use the brush tool to draw, and if you want to make the colors transparent, you can do so with either the "Transparency - Alpha" slider in the  "Colors" window (You may need to press the "More >>" button to see it), or you can do so with the opacity slider in "layer properties" (bottom-right of the Layers window, the button that looks like a pencil writing on a price tag).
Don't forget that you can add more layers (bottom-left of the Layers window, the button that looks like a square with a plus sign) if you want to have different levels of transparency with the second method.

Now that you're done, save the image as a .tga file in a new folder in your folder where you keep your materials.

Press OK on the save configuration window, and the texture itself is done.

Now it's time to create a .VMT file to be able to import it into Wall Worm.

Open VTFedit, and import the texture you just created (File>Import)

Once you have selected your texture, this window should appear:

Set the settings as shown and press OK.

Now save the file (File>Save) in the folder your original texture was in.

Next, go to Options>Create VMT file.

A window like this will pop up:

Under the "Base texture 1" section, your texture should automatically be placed there. If not, you can do so manually.

Go to the "Options" tab and set the "Surface1" property to Glass, then click create.

With this, you're ready to import your texture into Wall Worm with the Material Library Generator and use it in any of your levels.

Happy mapping!

wallworm

Thank you for sharing this info Carbon! I really appreciate it when WW users do things like this. Thank you :)

You can even do this entirely inside Max but I don't have time at moment to explain the steps/setup in Slate. Maybe in an upcoming video when I get time.

omegadavid99

if theres a tut on how to make glass material for source on 3dsmax can you please help me?

wallworm

You'll have to have some patience or experiment as I am too busy at the moment to explain this well. There will be a book available soon that will cover this, and perhaps a video. But I don't have time to spell it out at this moment. If you make a bitmap in diffuse map that has transparency in the material editor, this should export with your designed transparency. If not, make sure the bitmap has an alpha channel and sometimes place the bitmap into both diffuse and opacity. That's about as much help as I have time to explain at this moment. Look for a book released on Wall Worm next week.

omegadavid99

i mean to be used on source ofcourse i know how to make transperent material i just wnna know how to use it in gmod

wallworm

I'll give an in-depth explanation soon. it takes time to answer everyone's questions... and at moment it's hard to find.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk