Displacement Export, Hammer stuck on 'Reading Chunk 5%'

Started by Steeldrgn, April 21, 2014, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeldrgn

Well it seems like I have yet another problem that I cannot fix.

So I am making a displacement for terrain building and basically it works fine for a while and I'm exporting it out at intervals to check to see if it works. However, eventually at one point when I open it in Hammer, it would freeze up when it is "Reading Chunks" and is stuck at 5% and thus I have to just end it through the task manager. I have let it sit for about 10 minutes to see if it was just a loading issue but it wasn't.

I have tried pinpointing the problem by deleting the displacements and remaking them. Is there a point where u can't deform the displacement as there is too much deformation? What is a workaround for this? I'm going to send you my file again and it's at the point where it would freeze up in Hammer.

wallworm

This should be taken care of by turning off the "Precise Coords" in the VMF Exporter, but there is currently a bug where displacement values are always being too precise.

I have already fixed this bug in the beta of WW2.0. If you would like to test this, contact me on Skype. My Skype name is wallworm. I am considering releasing 2.0 today but not sure yet as I'm still running various tests.

Steeldrgn

Thanks for the quick reply yet again. That did fix it. I was wondering why too precise coords would be a problem for displacements?

wallworm

Well, the values in Hammer never get as precise as things in Max can. The precise coords should probably not be used by default, but at the moment precise is the default. The actual dispinfo values are still precise even when you turn off precise... but that will be fixed in WW2.0.

I noticed that the displacements are not aligned to the grid. This may have been why the precise coords started causing a problem. Perhaps you accidentally shifted the displacements? I'm not entirely certain that the displacement brush corners necessarily have to be aligned to the grid... but I did notice that in your file. But if the current settings work for you, then I'd just stick with it and not worry about it. ASFAIK, displacement alignment doesn't matter once compiled into the game... it's just hammer that can have a problem.

Steeldrgn

Nvm it didn't actually work. After finishing up the displacement it went back to the same problem. It probably is because of the grid. Can i move the displacements on the grid after i've commited changes?

wallworm

I think you'll need the update I'm about to release.

Moving the sculpt mesh is not something you should do. In fact, you should mainly only move the brush part of displacements (so if you want to do that, commit and revert the sculpt mesh to pieces, then use the Move Mode function in anvil to only move the brush faces). But you probably won't need to hassle with that. I will be releasing this update for WW shortly that will honor the exporter's precise setting in the displacements.

Steeldrgn

Oh ok. I'll wait for the update then. I was gonna add you to get the new update but i've been busy with errands and stuff. Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk