Problem with the export from 3dsmax to VMF format ! HELP PLS GUYS !

Started by PixCell, June 14, 2014, 08:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixCell

Hello guys.  Can u help me with my problem. I am using SDK Source 2013 Mulitplayer last version . Windows 8.1 x64 . 3dsmax 2014 x 64 . And a last version of WW. When i am trying to export as VMF its ending bad for me . Its saying "discontinued operation of the program " vbsp.exe. I tryed to export from  3dsmax 2013 too. But had the same problem. Pls help me. I am realy need in this export(( .Thanks in advance.

wallworm

This can have many reasons. The first step in solving a problem like this is looking at the compile log. In your maps folder, you'll find a file like this: MyMap_last_compile.log (if you compiled directly from Wall Worm). If not, you'll find (possibly larger) file called mymap.log. (In both cases, use the actual name of your map instead of "mymap").

If the LOG file is more than 50K, delete it and recompile so it is fresh.

Paste the contents of the log here.

PixCell

Quote from: wallworm on June 14, 2014, 09:04:54 AM
This can have many reasons. The first step in solving a problem like this is looking at the compile log. In your maps folder, you'll find a file like this: MyMap_last_compile.log (if you compiled directly from Wall Worm). If not, you'll find (possibly larger) file called mymap.log. (In both cases, use the actual name of your map instead of "mymap").

If the LOG file is more than 50K, delete it and recompile so it is fresh.

Paste the contents of the log here.

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (May 14 2014)
2 threads
materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\Kill Count\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\Kill Count\maps\2013\URBA.vmf
Could not locate 'GameData' key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\kill count\gameinfo.txt
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (0) (16 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Valve Software - vvis.exe (May 14 2014)
2 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\kill count\maps\2013\URBA.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\kill count\maps\2013\URBA.bsp
Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (May 14 2014)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     
2 threads
Could not find lights.rad in lights.rad.
Trying VRAD BIN directory instead...
Warning: Couldn't open texlight file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\lights.rad.
Loading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\kill count\maps\2013\URBA.bsp
Error opening c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\kill count\maps\2013\URBA.bsp

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\Kill Count\maps\2013>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\bspzip.exe" -addorupdatelist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\Kill Count\maps\URBA.bsp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\Kill Count\maps\2013\URBA_PackAssets.txt"  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\Kill Count\maps\URBA.bsp"   

Valve Software - bspzip.exe (May 14 2014)
Error opening C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\Kill Count\maps\URBA.bsp

wallworm

This is not a scenario I've seen.

My best guess is that the VMF does not contain any data. This could happen because there is no properly tagged world geometry in the scene.

Post the contents of the VMF file here.

PixCell

Quote from: wallworm on June 14, 2014, 12:00:09 PM
Post the contents of the VMF file here.
Does not matter which of the objects I'm trying to export. I even created a new file with a simple box. In any case, a "discontinued operation of the program" vbsp.ehe. Here is a complete pack of what was exported ( attached)

wallworm

As I suspected... there is no data in the VMF. This probably means you did not tag any of the geometry as world geometry. To do this, select the world geometry in the scene and press Wall Worm > Wall Worm Level Design > Set Selection as Brush Geometry . This is required in order for Wall Worm to know what geometry is part of the world.

You may want to refer to the new book I'm working on for Hammer users: Hammered to the Max.

PixCell

Quote from: wallworm on June 14, 2014, 01:08:10 PM
Hammered to the Max.

Thank you very much for your attention. I try to do as you said. And be sure to honor your book. On the results will let you know tomorrow. Do not want to distract you)

wallworm

PixCell

Quote from: wallworm on June 14, 2014, 04:37:11 PM

AS MUCH THANKS! It is work! Now i can export . Nice). But only if i am creating all NEW. (( . My old projects open in the hammer with an error "... 1 solid(s) were not loaded due to errors in the file . Would you like to Re-Save your map with the invalid solids removed?"  yes or no pressing are giving me only half or just one of the my objects and if they are more then one ( which  hummer adopted ) they are scattered apart from one another. I am sorry about my engl. I had no practice so long time ago. And its a problem why i cant get what i am doing wrong (. Maby its a topology problem? There is a simple objects like a 5 boxes .

wallworm

Without access to the original file, it's really hard to give specific advice on these issues. My best guess is that the objects have coplanar faces and/or the objects are concave. To export concave objects, tag them as Concave Brushes in the Level Design sub-menu.

Post a link to your original simple file (with the 5 boxes) and I will see what might be amiss.

PixCell

wallworm

I looked at the file. There are several problems. The main issues are that the Normals are not unified and UVs are not set.

You should turn on Backface Culling for your objects to see how the normal are inconsistent. Then apply a UVW modifier. There are other issues, but these are going to be the most important.

PixCell

Quote from: wallworm on June 15, 2014, 09:10:57 PM
There are several problems.

I gived up... Realy there is a lot of problems. I will recreate a full scene. Thx for ur  help!

wallworm

When starting, your best bet is to start your world geometry from one of these methods:

• Standard Max Primitives that are Convex and set to non-planar face settings (like a Box with lngthsegs/widthsegs/heightsegs all set to 1)
  • Imported via Wall Worm's VMF/MAP importer
  • CorVex

Using geometry from any other source is probably not a good method for beginners of either Max or Wall Worm. You can work with geometry imported via other methods, but they often take a lot of cleanup. In the case of the file you linked, it took me longer to figure out the problems (bad normal, no UVs, unwelded verts, scaling...) than it would have taken me to simply recreate the objects. Of course, once I realized the issues, it was simple to fix with a few commands... but being able to spot the problems, much less fix them, are probably beyond most new Max users. That's why I recommend that you start learning the WW process with objects/methods that are sure to result in proper world geometry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk