For those w/ issues exporting textures for "Insurgency"

Started by kinggambit, July 07, 2014, 03:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinggambit

This started as a question but I found the answer.

For working with Insurgency, even though you configure the WWMT settings properly, the VTEX.exe is missing in the bin directory. Just copy the VTEX.exe from another game's bin (I used CSGO just to be safe since Insurgency was modded from that game).

I'm not sure if the game matters but just copy-paste and you should be set!

Joris Ceoen

I'm not sure if it matters, I think VTEX.exe just reads the folder it is into and then applies the settings that are pre-written for that game (something in that direction). The thing is I know that CS:GO, L4D2 and Portal 2 have a VTEX that creates an additional .PWL version for each texture (which you should instantly remove because they are useless).

Anyways glad it worked :)! Get going, as I suppose this is for the contest on GameBanana ;)? And there, every day and time you can get into your project is very valuable.

wallworm

Quote from: kinggambit on July 07, 2014, 03:27:23 AM
This started as a question but I found the answer.

The more people who answer their own questions, the better! I wish more people in the community were both inquisitive and patient enough to do this kind of thing. More often than not, I'll get a rude email that something I made is broken! :)

And the fact you shared with others here also makes me glad!

Quote from: kinggambit on July 07, 2014, 03:27:23 AM
For working with Insurgency, even though you configure the WWMT settings properly, the VTEX.exe is missing in the bin directory. Just copy the VTEX.exe from another game's bin (I used CSGO just to be safe since Insurgency was modded from that game).

I'm not sure if the game matters but just copy-paste and you should be set!

Thanks for sharing this. The same may be true for other mods as well. I don't use Gmod much, but I think I may have had to do the same when testing it out also.

Quote from: jorisceoen on July 07, 2014, 05:24:27 AM
The thing is I know that CS:GO, L4D2 and Portal 2 have a VTEX that creates an additional .PWL version for each texture (which you should instantly remove because they are useless).
I wouldn't say that PWL is useless. It's mainly of little value to what we may be working on, but from what I've gathered over the last year or two is that the PWL format is used in console versions of games. How and why they are useful for consoles, I do not know.

kinggambit

Quote from: jorisceoen on July 07, 2014, 05:24:27 AM
Anyways glad it worked :)! Get going, as I suppose this is for the contest on GameBanana ;)? And there, every day and time you can get into your project is very valuable.

Yup, I started a month late so I'm pretty behind. Fortunately, they added a month! :D

Quote from: wallworm on July 07, 2014, 08:08:42 AM
The more people who answer their own questions, the better! I wish more people in the community were both inquisitive and patient enough to do this kind of thing.

haha I'm definitely one of those newbies who just asks for help the instant I get stuck. Trying to break that habit though :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk