Bsp compiler not working properly?

Started by CarbonCopyCat, September 30, 2014, 12:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarbonCopyCat

I've run into a bug today with the bsp compiler in Anvil, though strangely enough it was working fine yesterday. Whenever I compile a bsp inside of Wall Worm, it exports the vmf properly and displays a command window as it should. However, the bsp does not appear where it should, nor does it leave any other files (.bat files or .log files). I don't think it's an issue with my settings, as it affects all my presets, and I don't think it's a problem with vbsp.exe either, as it compiles properly in Hammer. It's not that big of an issue, as I just need to open Hammer and compile it from there, but it's inconvenient to keep switching back and forth. Thanks in advance for the help.

Here's the settings just in case they're needed:
Max Version: 2013, product update 6
modelsrc: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\content\modelsrc
materialsrc: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\content\materialsrc
mapsrc: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\content\mapsrc
Bin Dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin
Game Info: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf

Note: I did install the latest version of Wall Worm, just in case that was going to be a question asked.

wallworm

I'm not sure about this one. Does it persist if you restart Max? Does it do this with any scene? Was there any event that seemed to start it (like a specific error that popped up)?

When you click the Log button, does it open the last log? Where does the log say it is acquiring the VMF from?

I'll see if I can reproduce it.

CarbonCopyCat

Well, the Bsp compiler decided to start working again for me, so that's good, but it does bug me why it happened in the first place. All I can report about the issue was from memory, but it wasn't affected by restarts of Max or my computer, and it seemed to affect all the scenes I was working on. Thanks for the help anyway, hopefully the issue doesn't happen again.  :D

wallworm

My best guess is this:

Maybe the game was doing an update and the tools (VBSP.exe, studiomdl.exe, vtex.exe, etc) were being updated. Sometimes during an update for a game, these files get deleted and reloaded by Steam. During that time, WW cannot create the BATCH files, because it always checks to see if the files exist. I've never had this happen with the BSP tools in WW, but I've expected to see someone mention it eventually as more people use the VMF exporter. Traditionally, this has been noticed by people when the models were not converted from SMD/QC automatically (because WW could not write the batch files because they were missing).

Anyway, that's my best guess.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk