Displacements not being created in imported layout

Started by the6thmonkey, January 31, 2015, 11:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the6thmonkey

Hi,

I can create displacements easily in a new scene but when I try and create displacements in the layout I imported from hammer the displacements don't get created.  It acts like they were created, the helper moves along and there are new object properties in the top right but nothing appears. 
Any idea what could be going wrong?

thx

Edit: Found the problem, for some reason they were being generated in an inactive hidden layer

wallworm

Thanks for sharing your answer.

Yes, at some point every Max user comes to this error. It happens with any type of geometry, not just WW Displacements. The problem usually occurs in these steps:

1) You open the layer manager and do whatever you need to do (add objects to layers, organize layers, show/hide layers, etc).
2) During that time, you change the visibility of a layer to Off
3) You close Layer Manager or hide it behind another window
4) You create any object (Teapot, WW Displacement, etc) and it is Hidden
5) You scratch your head

What happened was that you may have inadvertently changed the current active layer to one that is hidden. And each new object created in Max goes to the current active layer by default, regardless of the visibility of that layer.

I always keep the Layers Toolbar in my toolbar because it always shows you the current active layer.

Just something you have to learn!

:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk