Can't even get Anvil to start-- "Unknown property: "TextureTop"

Started by Itszutak, February 22, 2015, 03:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itszutak

Hello,

I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to get around this error. Every time I start Anvil it immediately throws an exception as described in the title on nature/blendcliffgrass001a:DirectX_Shader.

Here's the MaxScript listener report:

-- Error occurred in wallworm_blend_to_DXBlend(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\scripts\WallWorm.com\common\matfuncs1.ms; position: 53048; line: 1583
--  Frame:
--   VTFImporter: undefined
--   rev: false
--   useStandard: false
--   mat2: nature/blendcliffgrass001a:Blend
--   defaultBitmaps: #()
--   dxmat: nature/blendcliffgrass001a:DirectX_Shader
--   mat: undefined
--   bm1: BitMap:C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\scripts\WallWorm.com\WallWormSimpleDisplacement\maps\nature\dirtfloor002a.tga
--   fx11: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\maps/fx/StandardFX11.fx"
--   om1: undefined
--   bm2: BitMap:C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\scripts\WallWorm.com\WallWormSimpleDisplacement\maps\nature\cliffface002a.tga
--   om2: undefined
--   tex2: nature:Bitmap
--   tex1: nature:Bitmap
--   called in anonymous codeblock; filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\scripts\WallWorm.com\WallWormSimpleDisplacement\anvil_funcs.ms; position: 9868; line: 335
--  Frame:
-- Error occurred during fileIn in "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\scripts\WallWorm.com\common\matfuncs1.ms"; line number: 1583
-- Error occurred during fileIn in "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\scripts\WallWorm.com\common\matfuncs1.ms"; line number: 1583
--   called in execute(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\scripts\WallWorm.com\WallWormSimpleDisplacement\anvil_funcs.ms; position: 9802; line: 334
--  Frame:
--   f: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2015\scripts/WallWorm.com/WallWormSimpleDisplacement/anvil.ms"
--   called in anonymous codeblock
--  Frame:
--   closeAnvil: closeAnvil()
>> MAXScript MacroScript Error Exception:
-- Unknown property: "TextureTop" in nature/blendcliffgrass001a:DirectX_Shader <<

Any help would be appreciated. I really feel like 3ds max/WWMT/Anvil would speed up my mapmaking process greatly...if I could get it to work.

wallworm

Sorry you are having this problem.

Can you let me know which version of 3ds Max you are using? And are you using the Nitrous Viewport?

We'll get to the bottom of this.

wallworm

To help, open Max, and then click Wall Worm > Wall Worm Model Tools > Wall Worm Model Tools to open WWMT once which loads some functions.

Then press F11 to open the MAXScript listener.

Paste into the listener this line and hit ENTER:

doesFileExist (::wallworm_installation_path + "/WallWorm.com/WallWormSimpleDisplacement/maps/fx/blend_dxsas11_nitrous.fx")

If the result is TRUE, then it means that you need to switch to the DX11 Nitrous settings (which is controlled under Customize > Preferences > Viewports > Choose Driver). If it is false, then WW is missing that required file which is part of the download. Use the code pasted above as the guide for copying the file.

Let me know the results.

In either event, I will update the code to not throw any exception. Instead, the DX materials just won't work if the files are missing after I load this next update.

wallworm

If you update WW, this error should go away. However, the problem implies that WW wasn't installed correctly or is missing some files. So you may need to verify your installation or provide more info.

Itszutak

Welcome to MAXScript.

doesFileExist (::wallworm_installation_path + "/WallWorm.com/WallWormSimpleDisplacement/maps/fx/blend_dxsas11_nitrous.fx")
true

Seems I don't have D11 Nitrous settings on! Weird.

Thank you for the incredibly quick response! Your patch worked like a charm!

It turns out, after some quick googling, that I do not have the dx11 card I thought I had-- instead I have two nvidia GTS 250 cards in SLI, which I guess can't handle some dx11 stuff.

wallworm

I'm glad it's all working now. Unfortunately, you may not be able to use the Displacement Alpha Blending in the Max viewport with the default settings right now because of the DX issue. I'll keep my eyes out for workarounds if this becomes a widespread problem.

Itszutak

I can't believe how quickly you not only responded but fixed my problem! I'm fine with not being able to use displacement alpha blending (my material's a 4wayblend and I'm not sure it'd be supported any way) but I can understand why it'd be of possible concern for other developers.

Regardless, I sent a donation your way, because you clearly are dedicated to this project and I really appreciate that.

wallworm

That's appreciated.

FWIW, 4way blend is something I intend to add also. Not sure when though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk