New Wall Worm Video: Episode 1

Started by wallworm, May 09, 2015, 07:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

So it's been a unanimous sentiment that many WW users just don't understand the WW level design workflow and philosophy. As such, I've been working on a new set of videos to show you from start-to-finish how to use WW for your levels. Here is Episode 1 accompanied by original music composed by my brother Eric Olson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5on5u4nMzzQ

Note that there is a section in the middle where I'm making the rock textures that the level itself if different than the rest of the video. That is because I had already filmed the creation of this level from scratch but redid it because it was too sloppy design--and I wanted to make sure that the level is really clean and pristine from a technical side so that all the nay-sayers about Max > Source don't have any ground to stand on. But I kept the section on using ProPal to make the rock textures from the earlier recording because I didn't want to spend the time remaking it.

The whole recording was 4 hours but I sped it up to one hour.

The next video will go into cleaning up the displacements, making the 3D sky, 2D sky and some props.

Enjoy!

PS: Go get your CorVex and ProPal now :)

the6thmonkey

Awesome job, its definetly cleared a lot up for me :)

wallworm

Thank goodness :) I was unsure how it would be taken. I've gotten an email and forum post now wishing it had had a voice-over... so I was starting to second-guess that decision.

Joris Ceoen

After my exams I will take a shot at my own level designing workflow in video form where I will use voice-over on a speeded timelapse (and slow down where necessary). I decide this purely based off the ways I prefer having tutorials, but I know for sure there are people that hate that as well (as much as people rightfully hate commentary during a game walkthrough where most of the talk consists of what that person ate that day or how many times he went to the toilet...).

You could always just do that (with voice-over) and then upload the same version without, and link both to each other.

CarbonCopyCat

Pretty informative; I learned a decent amount from this. For the second episode, I'd suggest putting some text or annotations on the top right briefly stating what you're doing (ex: configuring material IDs, adding entities). It's not necessary, but I think it'd help people who are unfamiliar with Wall Worm or are just tuned out (it's an hour long, after all) know generally what's going on. This and timestamps in the description could also help people who are using this to help with their workflow, as scrubbing through for a small piece of footage could be tedious.

wallworm

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I added more annotations via Youtube this evening and will keep your advice in mind for the next episode.

My goal is to clear up the main workflow philosophy... and I really hope this helps people realize how much faster they can be once they understand the tools.

wallworm

I intended on recording Episode II over the weekend... but I got distracted with writing a new plugin. The new plugin is nearly done, so I hope to record Episode II this weekend. Got some cool things planned in it :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk