Why is this happening?

Started by .george, July 10, 2015, 12:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.george

So I'm really bad at everything :< I finally managed to get a model I found on some chinese site working (thanks to someone else rigging it). Then managed to get a terrible animation going, then I managed to somehow miraculously get through Wall Worm Model Tools and export it to source correctly BUT, these 2 parts of my model just are missing in source but are there in 3ds max?

I don't understand why and would be grateful if anyone could help:

wallworm

Welcome to WW :)

A piece of advice is to start with simple models (like a crate) in WW so that you get an idea of how it all works before moving to more complex models.

In terms of this model: It's not immediately clear from the images as to what is happening. I'd suggest posting larger images where the image in Max/Hammer are from identical angles, and also highlight the problem areas in your images with circles/arrows.

Then explain how the model is set up in Max/WW, what version of 3ds Max you are using. This can help the process.

.george

The model is setup on a skeleton that it came with someone put extra bones in and rigged it very basically for me so i managed to animate it for what I need it for in hammer.

latest WW downloaded off site today (not sure about version)
3ds max 2015

in this image there are two faces that you can see that are clearly there (circled)

in this image they are gone

wallworm

Is the model composed of multiple mesh nodes? If so, each mesh must be added to the WWMT data.

You can check the nodes that are part of the mesh by opening WWMT, setting the UI to your WWMT helper, then clicking the Select Model button. It will select all the meshes belonging to the WWMT helper. If there are parts not selected, select those parts and click the Add Sel button.

If this doesn't help, send me your scene. Click File > Save As > Archive and send that zip file to my email which is in the WW Readme.

.george

email'd you I hope I used the right one  ;D

wallworm

OK, I see the problem immediately.

Those polygons are facing the wrong direction. You don't see it because the object has Backface Cull Turned Off.

Right-Click the object and go to Properties. Turn on Backface Cull and click OK. Now you'll see the problem.

You will have to flip the normals of all the faces having this problem.

.george

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH. I'll remember to look out for that if I undertake anything like this again :D, damn Chinese modelers :P. I never would have noticed if you didn't tell me, it's working perfect now ;D

wallworm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk