Smoothing in 1.8

Started by Anonyma, July 18, 2015, 08:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonyma

Hey, I have been using 1.8 for quite a while and came across a strange problem.

Any model I import can then never be smoothed!
Any use of Turbosmooth or Autosmooth, even set to 180 has no visual impact on the model.
Here's an image of what my model looks like regardless of what I do with typical smoothing techniques.
Each piece of geometry in this image was imported from an SMD:

I have also been able to create a simple cube and find results using the same smoothing modifiers.

Could it be a bug that was patched within the last month or two?
I would download the latest version, but it appears that the download is broken?

Thanks for your time!

wallworm

A couple things:

1) downloads should now be fixed.

2) The smoothing should actually be there in your model. To test, use the render function in Max. The problem is the viewport display. That was a viewport display problem that was fixed in Max 2015. The SMD importer embeds the smoothing into the mesh normal, not smoothing groups, and older versions of Max will not display that on any model that has a skin modifier.

The reason that the turbosmooth, etc isn't working is that the vertexes are not welded by default in the QC/SMD Importer. The simplest solution is to add a Vertex Weld modifier on top of your model if it's skinned to bones.

For staticprops, you can then collapse to editable poly.

If you have access to Max 2015+, I'd upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Anonyma

Well, it still had smoothing problems in renders, but your suggestion of using Vertex Weld fixed everything! I can finally apply smooth again! Thanks!

wallworm

In that case, I'm presuming this was a model with flex data (and a Morpher modifier)? In that case, you also need to read the consideration section at the bottom of the Model Import docs. There is a special case you need to handle if there is both a skin modifier and a morpher modifier.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk