Bring in from prop library

Started by jrocket, November 01, 2015, 02:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrocket

I have made a model in a max file that I have added to my prop library. How do I then bring this guy into my other scene so that each instance exported as a prop_static? Is there any way to see what's in my prop library?

wallworm

Good question.

There are a couple ways to get the prop into Max in other scenes. I'm going to address a couple of them:

WWMT+Proxy Way:
This way is how I personally like to do it. Note you may want to make sure WW is up-to-date for this as there was a bug in this approach in a few versions.

In this method, you should make your original scene such that the WWMT Helper has the Exclude from VMF option turned on. Now where you want to re-use it, use XRef Scene to import your original scene as an XRef scene (this could be the prop library scene or original Max scene with a WWMT helper). Now open the WWMT Proxies floater in the level design menu, hit refresh if your WWMT isn't listed, select that WWMT from the list and hit Make Prox button. Now the prop is in your scene as a Proxy (xref object if you used the Prop Library scene as an xref scene). This method requires you to always keep the referenced WWMT scene as an xref scene.

Entity Prop:
If you create a prop_static (or prop_dynamic, etc) via the Point Entity floater, you can click the library button below the World Model input to load a mesh from an existing prop.

As for a browser, there is not yet a mdl browser built into WW. It's on the radar though.

EDIT: But I should add that you can manually browse. PropLibrary files are stored in : $projectFolder/import/WallWormPropLibrary/mod/

jrocket

I tried using the second method and got this error whenever I hit the library button and selected my file.

I am using WWMT 2.713 and Anvil 3.93

I will try using the first method

wallworm

please hit F11 and get the entire error message.

jrocket

Oh right- here is the exact error. I think I figured it out though. The file I selected wasn't actually in the library path.. which doesn't actually exist even though I'm pretty sure I exported my prop to the library.

Place entities at the picked points.
w-- Error occurred in wallworm_load_library_prop(); filename: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2016 - 64bit\ENU\scripts\WallWorm.com\importers\importer_functions.ms; position: 2134; line: 68
--  Frame:
--   newModel: undefined
--   fgdName: "base"
--   prfile: "C:\Users\John\My Projects\warpath\foliage\redmaple\redmaple.max"
--   localProxPath: "C:\Users\John\Documents\3dsMax\import\WallWormPropLibrary\base\"
--   error: undefined
--   modelPathName: undefined
--   called in loadMeshFromLibrary(); filename: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2016 - 64bit\ENU\scripts\WallWorm.com\entities\base_point_entities.ms; position: 2426354; line: 67935
--  Frame:
--   doRotate: false
--   newProp: undefined
--   called in wwmt_model_libwmt_ui.pressed(); filename: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2016 - 64bit\ENU\scripts\WallWorm.com\entities\base_point_entities.ms; position: 2431101; line: 68040
--  Frame:
>> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception:
-- No ""setUserPropBuffer"" function for undefined <<

*edit - I exported my file to the prop library and it's working okay now. Thanks!

wallworm

OK, not sure how that error can happen, but I've updated WW so that the error should not happen. If you update to WW 2.716, that error should disappear.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk