Can't import tf2 vmf models.

Started by telespentry, November 08, 2015, 10:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

telespentry

Using the latest wallworm version, my fgd is tf.fgd from tf2. Importing a .vmf goes smoothly, despite taking a couple minutes, but the models do not load when clicking "import props from scene entities" due to "no entities found with model properties." Models import through "prop library from vmf" showing that my paths are set up right, but that isn't very useful since the models aren't actually placed.

Very new to this since I previously only have experience with blender so I am probably missing something obvious.

wallworm

Click Wall Worm > Wall Worm Level Design > Point Entities and see if you can add a prop_static entity. If not, it means that the FGD entity cache needs parsed. If so, go to the global settings and click reparse above the FGD selection.

telespentry

Worked! Been running for hours and still not done though. (I can tell that it is not frozen because task manager shows it maxing out a cpu core) I'll update tomorrow morning.

wallworm

Quote from: telespentry on November 09, 2015, 08:20:33 PM
Worked! Been running for hours and still not done though. (I can tell that it is not frozen because task manager shows it maxing out a cpu core) I'll update tomorrow morning.

Which function, exactly, is taking so long?

Note that if the MatGen path is not set to a path that has both VMT/TGA mirror of your actual materials, it can slow down some import functions because it ends up doing a lot of file system lookups to check for materials. This can affect importing VMF and/or models.

telespentry

oooh. it needs the vmt files there too? that's my problem. It did finish though and looks pretty good. Only issue is that blend materials are inverted. Going to try that.

telespentry

also, any way to export the result to blender without most of the materials going missing? I understand blend textures going missing, but just plain textures are too. I use .obj since .fbx crashes immediately. Also, is there a way to also import foliage?

telespentry

was trying to import props from scene entities on koth_suijin...

http://pastebin.com/q70thqQm

wallworm

The actual error reported is:

-- Unknown system exception <<[/color]

Those are always hard to troubleshoot. I'll give it a look later on.

Quote from: telespentry on November 10, 2015, 08:15:41 AM
also, any way to export the result to blender without most of the materials going missing? I understand blend textures going missing, but just plain textures are too. I use .obj since .fbx crashes immediately.

I don't really have any experience with Blender.

Quote from: telespentry on November 10, 2015, 08:15:41 AM
Also, is there a way to also import foliage?

Not sure what you mean. There isn't anything special about foliage as opposed to any other kind of model.

telespentry

Quote from: wallworm on November 10, 2015, 01:02:29 PM
I don't really have any experience with Blender.
Assumed as much. What I was asking is are there any export formats that retain the material information for stuff? I get that blend textures and other really fancy ones dont export.

wallworm

Quote from: telespentry on November 10, 2015, 01:27:54 PM
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Detail_props

Ok, I see. Yes, you need to use the VBSP Importer in WW. That tool has more functionality when you also have the Detailer plugin installed.

Quote from: telespentry on November 10, 2015, 01:35:39 PM
What I was asking is are there any export formats that retain the material information for stuff?

The only standard export format I generally deal with is FBX. And even then I am usually only dealing as middle man for mesh transfers and don't often deal with exporting complex materials between apps. I know standard materials translate via FBX.

telespentry

Another error, sd_doomsday also failed to open models with a "-- No "map" function for unidentified"
http://pastebin.com/Z3sPLkcg if needed.

wallworm

Do you have the latest version of WW? The error message did not match the line # with the current WW. If you have the latest, then you'll need to send me the QC+SMDs of model that caused the error.

telespentry

Downloaded WW two days ago. Will send model.

Wammbo

@telespentry
I want to draw your attention to the "Changelog Side" wehre you can allways see actual Version of WW Tools.
Sometimes it can happen taht WW Tools change Version over night.

Get the side to Favorite is my tip.  :D

http://dev.wallworm.com/topic/33/wwmt_changelog.html#changelog

best regards Wammbo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk