[SOLVED] Physics Mesh Issue

Started by Primarina, December 09, 2015, 10:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarina

Since I getting no replies from Facepunch about this issue, I am going to post here because I think wallworm importer is the culprit of this problem.

Anyways, for some odd reason, my physics mesh is being messed up despite properly weighting the model twice. I realized that wallworm importer is making the mesh as another bone for some unknown reason, but I can't delete the bone as it will end deleting the mesh itself. I don't know why wallworm importer is doing this, but if anyone can help me out, that will be great.

Some pictures detailing the problem.
http://imgur.com/a/TXlvy
http://imgur.com/a/IFzIR

wallworm

My email is in the ww readme file. Send me the SMD and QC files you are importing and I will see what is amiss.

Primarina

Quote from: wallworm on December 09, 2015, 11:08:07 PM
My email is in the ww readme file. Send me the SMD and QC files you are importing and I will see what is amiss.
Done.
I sent you the files to your email (lightcube right?).

Edit: Not related to the problem I am having, but this minor problem annoys me. Every time I undo an edit. Some if not all of vertices seem to act weirdly and the weird behavior seems to be permanent even when I redo/undo the edit. Any explanation on how to fix this issue?

Primarina

So wallworm, did you find anything that can fix my problem? Because it's been a while since I heard any response from you. I really do hope you actually received that email I sent you.

CarbonCopyCat

About your minor problem (the one with the weird vertices), you should be able to fix it by adding an "Edit Normals" Modifier, selecting all the normals, and then clicking "Unify."

Primarina

Quote from: CarbonCopyCat on December 13, 2015, 07:27:37 PM
About your minor problem (the one with the weird vertices), you should be able to fix it by adding an "Edit Normals" Modifier, selecting all the normals, and then clicking "Unify."

You are right that it fixed the problem, but unforunately, it introduced another problem. The model now looks blocky.

So, it fixes this problem, but it creates another problem.

wallworm

Not been ignoring you just very busy ATM and I actually thought I responded already but I obviously had not.

I haven't opened the file yet. I will tomorrow.

In terms of hitting undo and the normal getting messed up, this is a bug in Editable Poly objects since Max 2015. I suggest submitting a bug report to Autodesk. The more that report, the more likely they will fix.

Primarina

Quote from: wallworm on December 13, 2015, 11:52:06 PM
Not been ignoring you just very busy ATM and I actually thought I responded already but I obviously had not.

I haven't opened the file yet. I will tomorrow.

In terms of hitting undo and the normal getting messed up, this is a bug in Editable Poly objects since Max 2015. I suggest submitting a bug report to Autodesk. The more that report, the more likely they will fix.

Understandable. I just wanted to know if I sent the files to the correct email. That's all.

My apologies if I am pushing you.  Lately these days, people have been ignoring my calls for help especially in Facepunch. It's being getting worse as the time passes. Typically, I only get like one to two people to help me out, but they don't really do much to help. It's like pressing a broken button million of times.

Anyways, that normal getting messed up by the undo is an actual autodesk bug? Hm. No wonder I didn't get that bug in 3DS Max 2012. Anyways.  I will make sure to report that bug.

wallworm

I imported the model and it all seemed to import correctly.

I am not sure what the problem is that you are having, initially, honestly. Is it that the legs do not have individual hulls?

Attached is a screen shot of the scene that I imported and the collision exported into CS:GO.

In terms of the extra bone. WW Imports ALL meshes with a corresponding bone. For staticprop nodes, those are deleted. For skinned props, it's going to remain. If you need that bone to be removed, remove it from the skin modifier. Also, select the WWMT Helper and in the modify tab of Max, go down to the Models, Attachments & Bones rollout and remove the bone from the Bones list.

Another fast solution is to simply parent the main bone to the hull bone if all you need is to get the hull bone to follow root animations.

These are all just me sharing tidbits. I don't know what the problem is that you are talking about. I know that the images you posted were intended to explain the issue... but I cannot tell from looking at them what your problem and issue is. You'll need to write out explicitly what the issue is and what you are trying to accomplish and how it is failing.

Primarina

Quote from: wallworm on December 16, 2015, 02:23:14 PM
I imported the model and it all seemed to import correctly.

I am not sure what the problem is that you are having, initially, honestly. Is it that the legs do not have individual hulls?

Attached is a screen shot of the scene that I imported and the collision exported into CS:GO.

In terms of the extra bone. WW Imports ALL meshes with a corresponding bone. For staticprop nodes, those are deleted. For skinned props, it's going to remain. If you need that bone to be removed, remove it from the skin modifier. Also, select the WWMT Helper and in the modify tab of Max, go down to the Models, Attachments & Bones rollout and remove the bone from the Bones list.

Another fast solution is to simply parent the main bone to the hull bone if all you need is to get the hull bone to follow root animations.

These are all just me sharing tidbits. I don't know what the problem is that you are talking about. I know that the images you posted were intended to explain the issue... but I cannot tell from looking at them what your problem and issue is. You'll need to write out explicitly what the issue is and what you are trying to accomplish and how it is failing.

Aye. Knew my pictures wouldn't be enough. A few days back, a person from Facepunch told me the screenshots didn't tell them much. So, you aren't alone. Apologies about that.  So I guess I got some explanation to do. First off, I was trying to make the physics mesh for the model. I did the standard weighting process from this old Facepunch thread I found here.
https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=542906

And I exported the model as smd files and put them in Crowbar as usual using the TF2 Compiler. At first, the HLMV show the model had no visible problems, but when I checked the physics model, it ended like what the picture look like. Then, I tried reweighting the model again and I still got nothing.
But the looks of the picture, you used the CS:GO compiler and you had no problems. Perhaps maybe the compiler I am using right now is the issue. I will check it out when I got the chance.

EDIT: For some reason, I can't use the other compilers. They just seem to not even do anything at all.
EDIT 2: Oh wait nvm. I didn't install the SDK for GMod yet.
EDIT 3: Well, I tried it out with the GMOD and CS:GO. GMOD compiler still gave the same result and CS:GO HLMV just flat out crashes for me. You know what I am going redo the whole thing just to see if I did something. I will do when I get the chance.

Primarina

Well, this issue is really starting to get on my nerves. Anyways, I tried it out with 3DS Max 2012 using wunderboy's importer/exporter and I got the same dumb issue except now the toe bones are screwed up since I remade the whole physics mesh. Also, that confirms this isn't a wallworm importer/exporter issue. It's something wrong with how I did the physics mesh. So, that narrows it down. But great, I am still baffled on how this issue keeps persisting.

Joris Ceoen

Maybe I can kick in to help you. So, if I understand correctly, you are having an issue with the collision model, is that correct? I can't really understand whether you have a problem on IMPORT or on EXPORT. Can you please clarify?

Also, it would be nice if you could share us a screenshot of the settings you're using on the Wall Worm Model Tools for this specific model to export it.

Primarina

Quote from: Joris Ceoen on December 17, 2015, 02:12:48 PM
Maybe I can kick in to help you. So, if I understand correctly, you are having an issue with the collision model, is that correct? I can't really understand whether you have a problem on IMPORT or on EXPORT. Can you please clarify?

Also, it would be nice if you could share us a screenshot of the settings you're using on the Wall Worm Model Tools for this specific model to export it.

Yea, I am having an issue with the physics mesh. Exporting the model is part of the problem. Somehow it's not recognizing the the "toe" and "leg" bones. Perhaps maybe I have to include the "skirt" part as part of the physics mesh. As for the export settings here,

Primarina

Managed to resolved the issue myself.   
After looking back at some of my old Facepunch threads I made a few months ago, I finally managed to fix the issue using the very same technique I used in an earlier model I did. It turns out this is just another variation of the same bone weight issue I had before, which had a similar case like this back in July. I believe wallworm may have remember this particular issue.

Anyways, the case has been solved.

Joris Ceoen

Ok, nice. Well, honestly I have never seen that export doc, ever. I always use the Wall Worm Model Tools rollout which assign a helper to the model in the scene, and is very useful to work with. As for giving a last suggestion: Those collision joints look pretty expensive for a ragdoll, if I were you I would consider optimising them so they are approximatically the same size as each element of the model that you want to have solid, using far fewer polygons and possibly causing less overhead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk