Help with controls to design Arthur Dent model (noob; can't split damn polygons)

Started by RYANSUPERGENIUS1123, January 24, 2016, 10:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RYANSUPERGENIUS1123

How do I add parallel polygons rapidly like YouTube users do a lot? That's what I must do first, seriously. I got 3ds Max 2014 BTW, but I'm new to it and impatient to make some progress on this model.

I'll paste my progress so far with my protagonist model, Arthur Dent (Simon Jones style) from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm confused with features, such as how to add more polygons easily with lines, adjusting it to add it parallel lines, like his chin for instance, which I doodled in a screenshot of 3ds Max in Paint and attached in this. I'll post confusion and steps, since I'm a noob at the controls. Thanks in advance for giving comprehensible steps.

I'm an autistic atheist, and I love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (classic 1981 version), and I wanna make a CGI animation of BBC radio episodes starting with "Fit the Seventh", since the first 6 episodes were already adapted into a TV series in 1981.

warmeup

In my opinion, if you want to be fast you need to practice and practice, also you need to learn how stuff works inside 3ds max, and learn how to use the hotkeys etc.
Try learning about how to use editable polys or editable meshes...
I started to use 3ds max 1 year ago when i first entered college. In addition to what i learn in school, I use digital tutors it's really helping me out learning about anything.
http://www.digitaltutors.com/software/3ds-Max-tutorials
It's cheap because it's only 30$ a month comparing to what you will learn. IT'S HUUUUUGE!

wallworm

You must have posted this on one of the days I didn't make it to the forums.

I think that what you want to look up is Box Modeling. There should be plenty of free tutorials on Youtube. It should give you a good basis for this kind of modeling.

Essentially, once you have the basic primitive (in your case the sphere) you convert it to an Editable Poly and use the different tools for extruding and moving sub-objects. I'd utilize the Polygon Sub-Object mode a lot initially where you can find Extrude and Bevel as functions you can apply to selections of polygons. From there, the options and techniques are limitless and it will just be up to you to explore them yourself.

Hints:

* I'd start with a Box instead of a sphere for most projects.

* After you get the basic shape down, a common technique to add more detail and make the model more organic quickly is to ass a Turbosmooth modifier to it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk