Model Bounding Box / Sequence Box - Valve vs. Custom Models

Started by ThaiGrocer, November 09, 2011, 04:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThaiGrocer

The focus here is non-animated props. I noticed that Valve's models always have extra space with the bounding box / sequence box with the actual mesh. Then I look at my models, the bounding box is always very tight. Is there some kind of setting in WWMT or QC that can change that? I would like to know this for multiple reasons: it usually is good for providing a way to align models on the grid in Hammer and curiosity on how it affects my interaction with it in-game and possibly performance.

There's something like $bbox, but there are multiple reasons that I have come to believe that $bbox is NOT the solution. Using $bbox gives a mdl bbox in Hammer model browser, but it does not show the box in Hammer 3D/2D viewports and HLMV (seq. boxes). $bbox is not provided in the example modelsrc provided by Valve yet their models have a box that's not flush with the extents of the model. Also, the example modelsrc that Valve provides does not result in the same box when I compile it.

I have tried searching for the past few days and the topic seems to be very obscure. Any ideas?

wallworm

There is no way to control the bounding box in WWMT yet. From my understanding of it, it's used for a really generic collision detection (maybe for just AI). But as I've never actually used it yet... that is not something I can prove.

I have considered adding $bbox to WWMT... but yours is the first mention of it.

As for the "padding"... the only way I know to control that is to actually extend pieces/parts of the model to the extents you want. I don't have time to test as I have work today... but my guess is to add either more pieces to the mesh or extend the collision hull. But maybe there is some other way.

Anyway, it's a good question. I'll look into it more when I've got less work. Maybe tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk