Can you make playermodels with wallworm?

Started by mitchthenotsotitch, May 13, 2016, 11:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchthenotsotitch

I have actually made something with wallworm and managed to get on the 'currently popular this week' section of the GMOD workshop. Here it is:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=680839737

Now for the question that I was going to ask. I have been trying to find good tutorials for making player models from scratch and then exporting them to garrysmod. I haven't been able to find anything for blender or 3ds max so far which are the two pieces of 3d modelling software that I have installed. Then I had a thought. Is there anything on wallworm at the moment that lets you rig skeletons to a player model and export it? If so is there any documentation to help?

wallworm

Yes, this is possible. But it's a subject I've shied away from although it's asked a lot. The thing is that to successfully make player models from scratch, you need to understand a lot of the fundamentals of Source and the technical aspects of player models. And by the time you've gotten that far, most of the process is straightforward.

Your best bet for a first player model is to do this:

• Import an existing Player so that you have the skeleton.
  • Delete the mesh.
  • Now skin a new mesh to the bones.
  • Export this new mesh as an SMD
  • Point the player QC to the new SMD for reference mesh
  • Compile modified QC

That's the initial step to change just the mesh.

But to do the whole process from scratch inside Max/WW is more in-depth than I have time to cover at this time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk