Export QC + Model command window error: Too many materials used

Started by Super Ninja Fat, May 13, 2016, 05:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Ninja Fat

I'm new to Wall Worm and 3DS Max and am trying to make a map for Source Filmmaker using models (imported from Sam & Max: Season One, if you want to know). My current approach to accomplishing this is to render each model and assemble the location from Sam & Max in a Source Filmmaker project.

Here's my problem: When I run the model exporter, it comes up with this error:

QuoteERROR: Too many materials used, max 32
(image is attached)

First off, if there is a maximum of 32, do I just have to render separate selections of less than 32 materials? And if this is the case, is there any way to quickly compile these models at the same time as compiling a VMF with them already in it?

If anyone knows a better approach to doing this, help would be much appreciated!  :P

Thank you!

CarbonCopyCat

It's a bit hard to tell what you're doing, but I'm assuming you're exporting the entire level as a single model, which isn't really a good idea. The best way is probably to convert the level geometry itself into brushes (you'll want to use the Anvil tab for this), either doing it manually or via a plugin such as ShellVex, and then compiling it as a .bsp. I'm not too sure how detailed it is, though, so it might be better to provide some screenshots of your scene to understand what's happening better.

Super Ninja Fat

Well, for starters, this is the result I am aiming for:

And the image attached is what I am attempting to compile.

I see what you mean by converting some of the level geometry into brushes, but that would only include non-complex geometry such as the walls and floors.
Is there a setting for compiling models that retain their placement to the origin? ??? I'm pretty sure there is.

wallworm

I've got a document coming soon on ways to convert scenes from other games into Source. That document should be helpful.

Super Ninja Fat

Thanks, that should be helpful!  :D
I hope you update the WWMT document to say that you can't compile more than 32 meshes at once :P

wallworm

You can compile more than 32 meshes... it's materials that have a limit :)

Here is a new document on Porting Scenes into Source.

Super Ninja Fat

Super Ninja Fat

I'm at the "Converting Elements to Models" step of your "Porting Levels into Source" document. I have a few questions:

1.) What are explicit normals, and how do I know if I have them?

2.) The second step tells me to "Separate/Combine each mesh that should be it's own model". How do I combine meshes? Does it require each model to be physically connected, or can they be separated?

3.) What WWMTs? And what are their connection to WWMT Proxies?

4.) In the asterisk, you stated "The steps above do not address re-usable props. The steps above do not address re-usable props. If the scene includes props that should be instances of a single prop, then you will need to take some extra steps."
Does this apply to me at this point? I'm going to try creating models that include elements such as the ones I have in the image attached:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk