MDL Loader feature set

Started by Klizmotron, November 02, 2016, 12:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klizmotron

Maybe I haven't payed enough attention to what was happening recently, but I wanted to find some detailed information about what features of mdl browsing and viewing are planned to be added in WWMT mdl support. The things I'm worried about are mainly related to sequences support, so the question is: Will MDL functionality in WWMT be capable of importing and viewing sequences of actual MDLs? Because there are some problems related to this, first of all, you would need to lay all the animations across the timeline in 3ds Max somehow so that it wouldn't be a problem to see animations for different models in complex scenes with many MDLs loaded, vmf levels particularly. Are you guys planning to come up with some solution for this, or do you already have any good ideas? I would prefer using WWMT mdl capabilities for viewing compiled models to give up using hlvm.exe, which is really f***ed up in many ways. Will this be ever posible or will mdl support be just good enough to see props around the level without having them decompiled and loaded the long way? Thanks.

wallworm

The long-term goal is that animations and flexes will be inside the MDL plugin. But I make no promise on timeline.

In terms of the browser, the UI and functionality of it will improve over time. At this moment we are focusing on features for staticprop models for level design. Once those are 100% we'll start adding other features.

When done, you'll likely never have need for HLMV or QC/SMD imports when working in Max.

Klizmotron

Thanks. I hope you will have a good luck to fit it all together and work fast and stable, then it would be just an awesome piece of software for all kinds of usage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk