Transparency Textures Not Working?

Started by jjunkers87, February 23, 2012, 11:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjunkers87

Hey guys,

(I swear I posted this but I didn't see it after I hit enter)

The problem I'm having is the texture (.tga format) is not transparent, and I have no idea why.  When I view it in the perspective view it's all a bunch of a while and green leafs (trying to get a bush going).  Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

thanks!

Jj87

wallworm

So is it transparent inside 3ds Max? If so, then to get the transpareny into the model you'll need to make sure that the diffuse texture (with transparency) is also piped into the opacity slot of your material--or go into the WWMT settings and uncheck the option called Translucent Only if Diffuse in Opacity.

That should solve the dilemma... but then make sure that you remove any alpha in any non-transparent textures as all bitmaps with an alpha channel (even if empty) will export as having transparency when that option is off.

jjunkers87

We make our models in Maya and they look exactly the way we want them to, then export as obj with the texture, and then this happens... I've made crates and barrels and other basic objects.  I'm trying to get bushes into the game now.

When I transfer them over they are NOT transparent, they hold the basic white background and that's where I get stuck... not sure what reason it would have to make a 32 bit .tga file none transparent.

jjunkers87

Okay so to answer my own question....

it didn't add the transparency for some reason in the .vmt file.

"$alphatest" 1

was missing... so taa-daaa ...

Thanks for the help though ! 

Will be posting our work this week!

wallworm

THe transparency is kept in the diffuse map and is always the alpha channel of that bitmap. However, the export of the alpha into the VMT is dependent on a setting in the main WWMT settings UI (not the specific model UI).

By default, the VMT will only include the alpha commands in the VMT if you also happen to pipe the same diffuse map into the Opacity slot of your standard material.

If you prefer to not to have to do that, then you will have to open the main WW Settings floater and uncheck the option labeled Translucent Only if Diffuse in Opacity. When that is unchecked, the VMF will always get one of the following settings in the VMT based on the circumstances:

$translucent

or

$alphatest

(Alphatest is used in circumstances that are required, like if the material is two-sided, and other instances).

You have to be aware, though, that your texture will always get one of those settings if your diffuse bitmap has an alpha channel at all--in some circumstances when you might not think there is an alpha channel.

Demonstrating this in a video has been on my TODO list which I'll get around to at some point.

onur89tr

Hello. I'm learning WW Pro. But transparent textures doesn't work for me. When I'm making a glass, I'm changing alpha % with 50%. But when I'm making a TGA file with alpha channel, it has transparent areas, and the result isn't properly. I downloaded "95_reflection_transparency_example.zip" from WW site. But that transparent doesn't work there too. May it because my Graphic Card? I'm using 3DS Max 2016's first version, and I have Intel 4000 HD Graphics Card. Everybody, help me please...  ???

wallworm

onur89tr

Thanks mate. I solved my other problems. But transparency... So difficult. I'm waiting. If you quote here when record a video, I will be happy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk