attachments not working?

Started by techbot, April 06, 2012, 02:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techbot

Hello,

I've just finished my model and noticed that there are no attachments in the modelviewer.

here is the model:

you can clearly see them.

and the the qc:

//QC File generated by the Wall Worm Model Tools Version 1.772
// Get the latest version and notes at:
// http://dev.wallworm.com

$modelname "techbot/ref/ref.mdl"
$staticprop
$body ref "ref.smd"
$collisionmodel "ref_hull.smd" {
$concave

}
$surfaceprop "metal"
$cdmaterials "spacebuild/"
$sequence idle "ref" loop fps 30

$include "ref_wwmt_custom.qci"

techbot

nevermind I updated the tools while working on this and after I created another one called test it displayed on the attachment tab correctly.

if you delete the attachments though it doesn't delete them in the scene.

wallworm

Glad you got it working... I have done some updating to the way models are exported over the last couple of months but have neglected testing the changes in relation to attachments. I may need to update the code still as the positions may be off for staticprops... and I'm not certain about they work is using the Use Local Origin as Origin options.

Note that if you do not have Overwrite QC enabled in the WWMT settings... the QC won't change after the first export... so you may want to also check that it is not enabled.

techbot

this is weird. After I deleted the test attachment via plugin it was still on the scene and I removed it manually. I recreated my attachments and now it doesn't work again for some reason.

I tried to use different exporters too and it didn't help. (if I'm using wunderboys exporter it stucks on "writing meshes" though)

wallworm

I think that maybe it isn't overwriting the QC... check the WW Settings Floater and make sure that "Overwrite QC" is checked.

Also, I have found a fix to the attachment placement for models that have no bones. I will load that fix later today.

techbot

I made a short video. I know it doesn't really help or does it?

http://www.screenr.com/edd8

and yes I set a tick on "override existing QC"

I also deleted the model folder and source folder in this video so it basically creates a new model.

wallworm

Quote from: techbot on April 06, 2012, 03:17:33 PM
this is weird. After I deleted the test attachment via plugin it was still on the scene and I removed it manually.

The delete function down't actually "delete" it... it just "unassociates" the attachment helper. I could probably change it to delete the helper too... I no longer recall the logic of why I left it.

I recreated my attachments and now it doesn't work again for some reason.

This is what made me think that the QC isn't getting over-written... which is usually because the Settings floater has Overwrite QC unchecked.

I tried to use different exporters too and it didn't help. (if I'm using wunderboys exporter it stucks on "writing meshes" though)
The current release of Wunderboy's SMD Exporter can fail if any of the meshes do not have UVW Data. This happens most often when using generated hulls from WW or other sources that generate geometry without automatically adding UVW data. In that case... you should add a UVW Modifier to those kinds of meshes... that will allow you to use Wunderboy's SMD Exporter in this case.

If you send me your file I can have a closer look to see if there is something unusual about the setup. Otherwise, I'm loading an update tonight* that should help with attachments in some circumstances.

*hopefully. :)

techbot

sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

here is the file

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14742854/ZUploader/2012-04/tib_refinery_nobuilding.max

I just started modelling so don't expect something great.

wallworm

OK... I've downloaded the file. Unfortunately, I got caught up on other things tonight. I'll look at it tomorrow and try to release an update this weekend.

techbot

Sure, thanks for the support.  :)

wallworm

I looked at your file and was able to successfully export it and the attachments as expected. However, I'm using a slightly updated version of WWMT that has some Attachment-specific updates. I haven't really gotten a chance to test the update thoroughly ... but I may release it later today depending on another thing I'm addressing (below).

When updated, the main difference (regarding attachments) is that the meshes that are part of your model are included in the "bone list" for attaching points. (the currently available version and previous only listed bones skinned to the model).

To get the proper placement of attachments for non-skinned meshes that have more than one node required this update... this update will fix any of those problems--but actually probably not for those marked with $staticprop. I'm also trying to address the positions of attachments when using Use Local Origin as World Origin... when I figure that out I'll load this update. So if I cannot today, look for this update this week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk