Collision models help

Started by Aethalidus, June 13, 2012, 02:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aethalidus

I get this everytime i try and im afraid to spend an hours work trying to get a proper collision mesh out because my model is quite complex.

I would like to know if i need to detach and hide every polygon in my mesh for it to produce a working collision mesh though that will just take awhile for me.

Aethalidus

GUYS i figured it out at 4:30 in the morning i got my basestar a collision model that functioned. Not the model i wanted since it couldnt have all 62 parts that i did want oh..well.More hard work ahead now.

wallworm

There are two issues here:

1) to have a high number of pieces, you have to tell WWMT what to do with "Expensive" hulls. In the Wall Worm Settings, choose either -fullcollide (older engine) or Use Max Convex Pieces (newer engines).

2) That script error in the above image is a bug when using some versions of MassFX or nVidia PhysX Plugin for Max. You should make sure that you have the very latest service pack/update for your version of Max. If that still fails, update the nVidia PhysX plugin. I am now using the latest build PhysX Plugin 2.85 successfully (version 2.71 has bugs that cause that error, I know).

Aethalidus

the way i was trying to make collision models produced that error but now i get fairly good collision models.

also my collision meshes so far consist of-

In this order Galactica,Pegasus, and Basestar

I pretty much disect the models into pieces and creating a ton of physx rbodies, although it ususally takes me around 45 minutes to do each one though.
I only use WW helper when i have my collision model and i just need to turn it into a usable hull.

wallworm

The error you got with Hull Helper is specifically a bug in certain versions of MassFX and nVidia PhysX. If you update to the latest versions of those ... you won't have that problem. With that, you can literally do these models in a couple minutes instead of nearly an hour.

Regarding the costly hulls... go into the WW Settings and look for a setting called Expensive Collision Hull Handling and choose the option appropriate for your version of Source.

PS. In case you are refraining from updating PhysX because of Rayfire, the latest Rayfire works with PhysX 2.85 now. PhysX 2.71 has the bug that breaks Hull Helper.

Aethalidus

Thanks this will be great help now my basestar and pegasus should have more accurate collisions when i make them a new one.
Also unrelated to this thread but can you set icons for your props with WWMT? I think you can with VTF Edit.

wallworm

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by set an icon. Where is the icon displayed/implemented?

Aethalidus

Ive seen a tutorial but it involves the vgui. But im starting to think you can only give entities proper icons. Its just my models are big enough that in the spawn menu  they are but grey boxes. Where as SBEP under entities tab their weapons and other assorted entities have icons.

But a path to some icons would be

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\aethalidus\garrysmod\garrysmod\addons\SBEP_Models\materials\VGUI\entities

If you have this add-on or others with similar file structure you can just import those .vtf files into vtf edit and see the icons that are used in the gmod spawn menu.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk