Exporting a ragdoll?

Started by Aethalidus, June 25, 2012, 05:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aethalidus

Well i dont really know how to do this at all...

i have this

I made the bones in blender because i cant use maxes' bone system while blenders vertex group assigning made this incredibly simple.

but max says the bones are there so i tried exporting and it exported but the results were not promising. Whats different from exporting a rag-doll over a prop? how do i do it?

wallworm

Here are basic instructions on creating a simple ragdoll.

As for the bones in Max. They are actually quite simple. You may just need to familiarize yourself with them.

I am adding a small skinning utility to a future version of WW that helps with skinning complex hulls quicker.

Aethalidus

Well that video really didnt help me. Although learning about the ik limits was good. I have one object with bones not multiple  objects that i could just use the bone on option.

wallworm

For a single object the same principle applies. Just set the IK limits for the bones.

For the collision mesh you must have one convex hull per bone. So in your hull, skin each chunk of mesh that belongs to its corresponding bone--and only to that bone. If your hull is a single mesh with $concave, then weight each convex chunk to each bone so that the only one bone influences each piece of the hull.

This requires learning about the skinning tools and weighting. The utility I am planning on building is for the weighting of bones on hulls quickly.

Aethalidus

I was having massive trouble in max with setting the weights for the bones. Thats why i went to blender to sort that out. i dunno why i cant get the envelopes in element select mode to properly function. :( i just can't...but blender sure filled in. Can i use blender for the collision mesh too?

wallworm

My best advice is to learn the bone/weight tools in Max. They are actually pretty simple. I am building a function though that will help a little bit.

As for doing things in Blender, yes you can. I obviously don't recommend it due to my own bias :)

But if you prefer using Blender, there is a collection of tools called the Blender SMD Tools at http://code.google.com/p/blender-smd/ . It might be easier to use than going back and forth between Blender and Max.

Again, I'd recommend simply familiarizing yourself with the native Max skin/weight tools. I'm sure that you would feel less apprehensive about them simply by spending time using them. That way you'd still be inside the Wall Worm environment :P

Aethalidus

I might try again in the later in the week with maxs bones. I just feel its dirty when i cant get the bones symmetrical. Which i cant in max because it never mirrors properly and i can't clone a bone and translate it because the bone does this angle thing when i do. Although I could just use one bone for both barrels.

QuoteBut if you prefer using Blender, there is a collection of tools called the Blender SMD Tools at http://code.google.com/p/blender-smd/ . It might be easier to use than going back and forth between Blender and Max.
I'm not really interested in going out of wallworm thanks though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk