Accurate VMF Textures finally almost here

Started by wallworm, September 29, 2012, 01:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

After a year struggling with getting the VMF exporter to get accurate textures in world geometry, the problem is finally close to solved. Probably next week I will have an update out that has, once and for all, accurate textures on world geometry and displacements. The exporter has been"fair" on the textures for a while but failed on non-rectangular shapes.

Luckily, I have some exceptionally smart friends. Aside from all the scripters, coders and Maxers that have helped me over the last year (Thank You ALL)... I re-enlisted my friend Andrew Penry again to tackle the problem. He has done the majority of the VMF texture solution that was already in WW. Thank God, too... as he has a degree in Chemistry and did a lot of Math in school. The solutions he's come up with would simply have taken me another year of trial and error. If I never see the functions cross(), dot() and anything else like them again, it will still be too soon.

Anyway, I think we'll have that done next week. Hooray!

wallworm

Sorry for those waiting for this update. I hoped to have it done this week but I've been testing the conversion of many WW functions into compiled .NET assemblies. What it means is that, when finished, a bunch of functions will be a lot faster. It also means that updates are going to be a little slower because I am new to C#/.NET and compiling takes longer than scripting.

I am going to make a switch in the code for the .NET functions... and only plan to provide .NET functions to 3ds Max 2013 x64 and up. All other versions of Max will continue to use MAXScript implementations. I just don't have the time to provide support for all versions of Max.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk