I couldn't done my project without the help of wallworm Tools!

Started by Skibur, October 04, 2012, 12:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skibur

Hey guys! I just registered and was informed that I should make a thread about how I managed to do my project with the marvelous help of the tools of WallWorm.

I was working on a project where I wanted to remade a map from another game into Team Fortress 2, only for the saxton Hale mode. The issue came when I was modeling a complex geometry brush inside Hammer, let alone increasing the brush count. By the time when I was finish with the prop, entirely out of brush, I duplicated all over the map, which exponentially grow the brush count. By the end of the day, I tried to compile the map and it failed solely because I exceeded the brush count. I then came up with a solution by converting it into a static prop. I first tried the propper tool, but it didn't solve the issue. Then a friend of mine told me about the Wallworm tool. After reading tutorials and understand how to use the tools precisely, I import the brush model into 3ds max, reconfigure it, texture it, and then export it back into hammer using the tool, it does the job done a lot faster than modeling a brush inside hammer and converting into props using propper.

With the tools available to use for 3ds max, it opened a lot of ideas on how powerful and great this tool is.
Below is a picture from 3ds max scene, are most objects that I created that's exported into Hammer. (Note; there were a few props that were modeled from hammer, but likewise they were also exported using the tools as well)

With all those models imported into Hammer, the map itself makes a better image already;
Overview;

Center;

Top Powerhouse;

Bottom Powerhouse;

Roof of control house

The wallworm tools also have other options that I could use that I could do in 3ds max instead in Hammer. The displacement was the biggest challenge. It would take ten times more time require to edit the displacement in hammer, than doing it in 3ds max. I was very imporessed of what the tools were capable of, expanding a lot of possibility and creative ideas that can be easily achieved in a fraction of minutes without any hassle.

Point is, I would have to thank Shawn, the creator of wallworm, a tremendous amount for support, advice, and many other possible feature about WallWorm. Without his tools.. I would have never achieve the point where I am on making this map.

wallworm

Thank you immensely for your encouraging comments and the screen shots! I wish more WW users were sharing samples of their work here. I have some major improvements coming soon (vmf texture fixes, displacement tool enhancements and speed increases for displacements and exporting as I'm moving some of the code to C++/C# instead of MAXScript) so I hope you continue to find yourself enjoying the tools.

Keep on sharing!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk