VMF Importer...

Started by wallworm, January 23, 2013, 02:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

So I had some ideas yesterday and decided to begin the work on a VMF Importer. The project probably won't be as involved as I had long expected. So you can likely expect that sometime in the upcoming weeks, you will be able to import your levels from Source to Max.

Hoorah!

wallworm

I've got brushes successfully importing now from both VMF files and older MAP files. For VMF, I've got layers, cameras and cordons too. I'm not sure I'll be able to successfully bring in entities at initial release of the importer. We'll see.

Right now, getting correct UVW is my hangup. But I think it won't be that complex. I've even got the importer creating materials from face materials that reference VMTs that exist in the current game's material directories.

wallworm

This function has not been messed with much and is a very limited beta in the current WW. But I did spend a little time reworking this and in the very near future, there will be a full-featured VMF importer in Wall Worm. In my development version the VMF is now importing all geometry, all entities and bringing in all the entity properties.

I have still to get the UVW coordinates to come in. I think I can get that added within a week.

Below is an example scene with all the entities imported from a level I made years ago for CS 1.6:

wallworm

New WW update with this new toy. Check it out and share feedback.

wallworm

I meant to add this: before using, PLEASE READ the help on this tool. It's really cool, but it still has a few limitations. So before I get 20 emails asking about something, please make sure to read the VMF Importer notes first.

wallworm

wallworm

There is one issue I am aware of regarding props brought into the scene with the VMF importer... and that is when you go to re-export the scene... the props can be off at wonky angles. This issue does not apply to models created outside the VMF importer process.

I am trying to see how to easily counteract this problem.

In the meantime, you can always re-export the root WWMT helpers for those models. To do this, here is my suggestion:

1) Unhide the layer called VMF_Export and Select all the objects having names like this: "wwmt_source_#####" (These are the WWMT helpers)

2) Open Anvil

3) Open the Models Tab in Anvil

4) Enter a new path in the Set Model Paths field and hit the arrow button to the right... this will move all the model output paths to the new location.

5) With the WWMT helpers still selected, click the Quick Compile button.

WW will re-export and compile all the models to the new paths and the rotations of the models should now be correct when exporting the VMF.

In any event... I'll make an update soon that hopefully alleviates this. The main issue, I believe, is that internally a model stores the forward axis as X ... but before export that axis was Y in Max...

WOrse, still, is importing models that did not have their xform reset before being exorted as an SMD.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk