Too long compiling

Started by derby, February 13, 2013, 07:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derby

I made the test map with Convexity and trying to compile it by the Wall Worm Tool. But it takes too much time, vvis.exe is working about 6 hrs on PortalFlow stage. What did I wrong? And is there anywhere a list of tips of map creation and optimization?

Thanks in advance

wallworm

There are several things you can do to speed things up. Unfortunately, many of them are simply skills you learn over time. Essentially, all the same principles apply between using Hammer and 3ds Max... so if you know how to optimize a map in Hammer it should be the same here.

I would say that the first thing you should consider is using the func_detail function in WW as much as possible. Turning complex brushes into func_detail helps a lot. If you share a sample screen shot (or file) it might be easier to provide something a little more concrete.

derby

Here it is.

About func_detail - thanks, I'll read about it.
I'm new to the game design and do not know many things that are obvious to you.

Thanks.

wallworm

Basically, you will need to learn about how world geometry cuts up the world into vis blocks. Once you get an idea of that, you can start thinking about how you can "remove" things from the vis stage.

For example, a simple hollow cube that has cube brush (block) floating at the center will cut the world up into many vis blocks of space (perhaps up to 26 blocks for this scenario--with 9 vis blocks below, 9 above and 8 in the middle because the middle block is being filled by geometry). Turning that one box into a func_detail could reduce that to 1 vis block.

The time it takes to calculate vis is directly related to how many vis blocks are in the level and how many other vis blocks are visible from each vis block.

There are already many tutorials on this on the net. Here are some resources:

derby

OMG, you opened my eyes,  I realized that still don't know anything about this...  :o
Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk