Hull and multiple sequence problem

Started by Sky-High, March 08, 2013, 12:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sky-High

So my texturing and stuff is good enough for me, I also made animations on 1 timeline with 2 sequences.
I added the sequences according to their start and end frame from the timeline.
but when i go ingame the textures are all good but the animation dont work for some reason, at compiling the models it made the 3 smd files for the animations.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/559842841245781360/9CEFD0937334CC5DD45681E8E105BC0461248871/

With the hull i have the problem that model is so complex and has so many vertices that it creats about 200 hulls wich is way to much, one hull or 3 hulls would be sufficient, how can i do that?
Also when i make the hull it always comes over my textuing so that when i render i dont see my texture but instead greyish material.
(edit: fixed this by hiding all the selected hulls)

using code for animation:    
    SetVariantString("rotate");
    AcceptEntityInput(entity, "SetAnimation");

get this error log in console:
- Dynamic prop prop_dynamic: no sequence named:dissolve
- Dynamic prop prop_dynamic: no sequence named:rotate

but when i open the model with hammer i see the 3 sequences:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2671/naamloosjln.png

using code to detect if something touched the hull:
SDKHook(entity, SDKHook_StartTouch, Entity_OnStartTouch);

Hook isnt being executed on touch

Sky-High

When I make A hull, and export my model with the hull assigned as the models hull.

When i load the model ingame and i want to shoot at it, right before i am gonna fire my gun (while aiming at the model) my csgo crashes.
But when i slash the model with my knife i hit the hull and i dont crash ..

and for my sequences it sais there is no sequence named rotation or dissolve, but when i open the model in hammer viewer i see the sequences, altough the dissolve sequence isnt showing as it should. (model is rescaled over time during these sequences.

What did i do wrong?

wallworm

Without seeing everything, it's hard to say what is going on.

One thing to note is that scale changes on a mesh are not exported. In fact, generally speaking, you never want to scale a mesh. If you do, you should reset the XForm of the model with the XForm modifier.

I'm not familiar with what might have a model crash CSGO when shot. It isn't something I've seen before. It could be that the collision hull is too costly (which is implied earlier in the thread).

As for missing sequences... what kind of entity is calling the model? For example, if it is a prop_static it may not recognize any.

Sky-High

I kinda figured that when i saw the sequence in hammer tool, is it possible to make the model shrink or light up or something like that in a sequence so that it will also play ingame?

I have tried diffrent collission hulls, also one with the masfx rbody modifier to give me one solid hull and it gives me the same result.

I am using a prop_dynamic entity wich should normally work according to hammer.
Next I'm gonna try it with a prop_dynamic_override, is it possible that both problems are connected?

linked the model max file, maybe it helps.
http://www.2shared.com/file/_i-XU1nB/AP-puregold2.html

wallworm

I tried to download the file but when I clicked the download link my Anti-Virus software went haywire. Do you have a way to load it to a direct link somewhere?

Feel free to contact me on Skype.

wallworm

I opened the file and I have some bad news for you  :-\ The model is not a candidate for using in Source as it is.

There are really two main problems:

1) Tri-Count. The main mesh is 125,813 tris. Considering this is a piece of armor, it seems very excessive. (For example, look into the tri-count of player models. I'm not sure the current count of csgo player models, but my guess is that the whole model is under 20,000).

2) WAAAAYYY too many hulls! I know from an earlier post and by the names of these hulls that they were made with the quick hull functions in Wall Worm. You can get into trouble if you aren't careful though. I use the quick hull function all the time but you must understand how the tool works. This model should only have a few hull pieces but instead it has 1,954 pieces.

The hull function will take every Element sub-object of every object in your model and turn it into a convex piece of a larger concave hull. So you should only use the quick hull function on models that were designed to be candidates for that. There is another tool in WW called Hull Helper to speed the process of making a hull manually if the model isn't a candidate for Quick Hull.

I'd delete all these hulls entirely and start fresh. My guess is the hull is the source of your crash.

Sky-High

oh ok, i thought that was gonna make the model look better, i increased the mess or something not sure what exactly it was.

anyway here is the original file, this one has 15.788 polys and 12937 vertices, i'm gonna restart and do nothing on the shape itself.
Hopefully this time it will go better :)

http://thefree3dmodels.com/stuff/accessories/armour_v3_pegasus/21-1-0-4371

Edit:
Are there specifical things i need to watch for when making a hull using hull helper?
Any max amount of hulls a model should maximum have?
I previously also tried the massfx r body modifier to make one solid hull and loaded that into the game and it also crashed, could that have anything to do with the fact the model poly and verts count was to high?

Sky-High

pff this sucks man, even now with one big hull it fails to detect touches, where the hull should be solid, ingame i can just run through it with some minor speed diffrences. I feel that i touch the hull but for some reason its not detecting. (hook is properly set)
also the sequences still dont work..

using this version now: http://downloadurl.verygames.net/server6743/counterstrike_go/csgo/models/props/PegasusAP/v3.1.2.max

Made a sequence called rotate and included the hull to turn with the model but the hull stands still when looking at the sequence in hammer editor.

Why isnt this working like it should :s, i would like to get this thing finished so i can start on another model ..

wallworm

I don't have time at this moment to give detailed help. But what I will do is make a new video this week* that goes through the whole process of creating an animated model with a hull.

*But it could be longer. I am nursing my elderly father who is probably not going to survive this week. So my priorities are not 3D at this moment. But I will provide a new video detailing the process with the latest tools soon.

Sky-High

I'm sorry to hear that, I can understand.

Thanks in advance for the tutorial, i think it will help out many ppl to do it for complex models.
So far ive always gotten the model to work in hammer tool, i see the sequences but ingame when i activate the sequence it doesnt work.

Sky-High

I recently made a new simple model just some text that i beveled and gave some texture,
I have again the same problem with my collision hull and sequences.

I have this no matter what sort of hull I have (1 solid convex hull or multiple hulls created by the auto hull function)

The model itself has 4164 polys and 2112 verts.

Could you give it a try to make a simple hull for it that will work in source engine?
I have tried it myself on tons of diffrent methods but i always hit the same result,
when i touch the hull my speed is lagged for the time i'm touching the hull but a register touch hook is not being fired.
Model

wallworm

Quote from: Sky-High on March 23, 2013, 08:28:57 PM
I recently made a new simple model just some text that i beveled and gave some texture,
I have again the same problem with my collision hull and sequences.

I have this no matter what sort of hull I have (1 solid convex hull or multiple hulls created by the auto hull function)

The model itself has 4164 polys and 2112 verts...

You may need to ask someone who does programming in the SDK. I personally haven't done any programming in the Source SDK. All of my interaction has been in a given mod using entity I/O. And since it always works as I expect that way, my guess is there may be some error in the SDK code you are running.

My best guess is that your code for listening to a collision event is firing constantly during a collision instead of just once, etc. And for animation, it may be that the wrong event listener is being used. Those are the kinds of things I'd expect in the asynchronous programming I've done in MAXScript, ActionScript and JavaScript.

Sky-High

the code itself should be good, cous i made a simple model myself with a hull and sequence, put it ingame with the same code and for this model it works, All 3 models have the same properties being a prop_dynamic.

why would my code only work for this model and not for the other 2(double points and armor)?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk