VTF Problem

Started by Envoy, April 10, 2013, 11:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Envoy

I am trying to export a model to use in the Source Film Maker by exporting it with Garry's Mod settings (because they transfer easily as I can tell).

Exporting the model works great, flawless and simple. But the texture is giving me grief. As far as I can tell I've set it up properly, because I'm only trying to convert a model the base is a bitmap, using a tga file which I set to the diffuse map (I don't know much about 3dsmax, so I followed the instructions I found on youtube pretty closely). But when I try and export the materials it gives me a vmt but no vtf.

My material editor looks like this, I don't know if that would be causing the problem.

I know that it looked slightly different in the videos I watched, but I've tried multiple things, including his way, and none to any avail.

Here's the folder it should be exporting to.

As you can see it's empty aside from the vmt.

Here's the working naked model:

Any ideas? Props if you can tell what the hammer is just from it's shape.

wallworm

There are potentially a few issues.

The most likely reason is that the desired output paths don't exist. How and where the path is and where it should be is dependent on which SMD Exporter you are using and/or which material options you are using.

Go to your WW Settings ( Wall Worm > Wall Worm Settings ) .

If your SMD Exporter is WW SMD Exporter (Recommended) then turn off any material option at top right of settings that says "Legacy". If your SMD Exporter is set to Wunderboy or Cannonfodder, turn on those legacy settings.

Now re-export both the model and the materials.

If that doesn't apply or still doesn't work... go to the folder where your VTF should be (in this case it should be at mod\materials\yo\[bitmapfilename].vtf ). If the containing folder does not exist, create it then re-export the VTF.

Remember, the NAME of the BITMAP NODE is the relative path of where the VTF is exported to. So if your model's material path is not the same (in this case  "yo" ) then you probably missed the VTF when copying to SFM.

Envoy

Hahahaha, okay I figured it out.
Thank you for replying! And so quickly as well. But the solution was way more simple and I feel stupid.

When I exported the Model phase with WW it worked and ran the batch file that actually produced the .mdl and files Source could read, for whatever reason, when I exported the Material part it made the .VMT, but didn't run the batch file that was made inside of my "\sourcesdk_content\hl2\materialsrc\myproject" folder.

All I had to do was go into that folder and run the batch.

Hope this helps anyone that has problems with this, could be some weird Windows security thing. But seeing as to how the Model part worked just fine I don't know what the problem was. Works now!

I do need to shrink it a little tough

wallworm

I'm glad you got it working.

The batch should run automatically. I know it fails to run automatically if you are using some vanilla installs of Max (like 2012). Make sure you get all the updates/service packs for Max.

You can also use the WW Problem Checker under Wall Worm > Utilities > Check for Problems ... and choose the Max checkbox.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk