3ds max viewport settings

Started by tawdarky, April 28, 2013, 05:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tawdarky

I there any way to configure the viewports just like in hammer?I would love it if i can walk in 3d viewport with wasd and turn camera around with arrows without having to click the walktrough button.And having all 4 viewports active at the same time not having to click them to work with them.In hammer you can just hover the mouse over a viewport and it's activated no need to click on it.

wallworm

For navigation like in Hammer, just use the Walk Though mode for a camera. You can press the walkthrough mode (footstep icon at bottom right of max) when in camera or perspective views.

The [ key slows your speed down and the ] speeds you up. With that ASDW or arrows will move camera like in hammer and LMB+Move mouse will alter the direction of view.

Although I use that mode and initially felt similar to you, I long ago to appreciate the various aspects of navigating in Max.

In terms of activating a viewport... at least for me I can zoom in/out of a viewport by just hovering over. If you want to switch active viewport without losing focus on your current selection, just use the middle mouse button to click another viewport instead of the LMB.

[EDIT] Here is the official docs on Walkthrough Navigation

wallworm

Oops... I guess I didn't read carefully... as I see you know the walkthrough button.

You can use the Up Arrow shortcut key to start the walkthrough as you would the Z key in hammer.

tawdarky

Another problem i have is i don't know how to scale object like in hammer.for example i have a wall and when i scale it is scales from both sides.i want to be able to shrink it just like in hammer from the side i want.is it possible?

wallworm

This is actually one of the few things in Hammer I'd like to see implemented in Max. You can vote for this feature on the Autodesk Uservoice.

That being said, their are alternate ways to accomplish this inside Max. But I have to say that, for me, the problem with me doing BSP level design originally was that I "thought like Hammer". I don't have time to explain these alternatives at the moment, but do suggest becoming immersed in Max. Then various different ways of accomplishing your task will present themselves. I will probably do a video on these techniques at some point as demonstrating them will make a lot more sense.

Still... vote with the link in this post.

tawdarky

I voted for it.Tell me how to link to objects into one.I got a window model from the internet i copied it and cut a portion from the copy.After that i put them togheter to make a single one but when i export it it doesn't appear in hammer.I think i need to link them somehow to tell 3ds that's only one object there but i don't know how.

This is how it looks -> http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3132/windowlk.jpg

wallworm

You don't want to use Link nor Group for this. You have two options:

If the objects are two separate objects, you can select the extra object and in WWMT main rollout choose Add Sel. That will assign extra objects to the WWMT helper.

Or, assuming it is an editable poly or editable mesh, select the first object already assigned to WWMT, go to the command panel > modify tab and click Attach then attach the second object.

tawdarky

Actualy the other object is still divided in polygons.i tried what you sayd but it doesn't export the object that is divided in polygons.

wallworm

You would have to send me a sample as I'm thinking that we are talking two different things.

wallworm

I received your example file and was able to compile it just fine.

HOWEVER....

The model is composed of 500+ separate objects with 9800+ tris which is WAY TOO COMPLEX for this simple model. I assume it was imported from an external source? I suggest recreating this model from scratch and getting the tri count to a few hundred at most for this model. If the door is to move, it could be condensed into 2-4 objects as opposed to 500+.

Also, the WWMT helper was converted to an editable mesh in this scene. That caused WWMT to crash when starting. Because of this error, I have changed the WWMT code to handle such a situation... and I will roll out that update later today.

tawdarky

wallworm

The docs have a lot of helpful info:

http://dev.wallworm.com/document/68/exporting_your_static_prop.html

QuoteIf the model is composed of multiple meshes (objects that are not part of the same mesh in 3ds), then you can add those meshes with the Append or Add Sel buttons. Append lets you add one mesh at a time. If there are many meshes, select them all at once and click Add Sel.

Also see this page:

http://dev.wallworm.com/document/56/model__basic_qc_rollout.html

tawdarky

Is it possible to see the exact materials used in the creation of a model?I got a model and i want to see how exactly the materials used to make it are set.

wallworm

I am not sure what you mean. You may need to look into the Material settings docs a little more. There are options to make textures appear more or less accurate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk