Weird paths folder

Started by Akaihana, April 29, 2013, 10:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akaihana

Hi,

I have a problem with paths folder and I was not able to resolve it  :'(.

First, my Counter-Strike Global Offensive folder is not in my username steamapps folder but in commons

Then, in my sdk_content folder, I had no materialsrc and modelsrc folders so I created them :

After this, I followed the tutorial to export my 3DSMax model to Hammer Source and I had no errors during the compiling.
But when I launch the Hammer source to load my model in my scene, I can't do it because all the defaut props are in this folder :

So I tried to change the folder path in the settings for the model folder and the material folder. I chose that folder for this last one :

When I am doing this, I can see and select my prop in the Hammer Source but the 3D model has no more textures :

I think I am missing something stupid and important and I am sorry to bother you  :-\ with this problem but if you could help me, I will be very happy.

(I am not a native english person so I apologize if my english is bad)

Thank you very much  :)

wallworm

Two things... please first make sure that you have the latest service pack fro your version of 3ds Max.

Second, for CSGO, the sdk_content folder in your screen shot is the correct location. You created the correct folders inside that.

In terms of the materials... did you export them also? With WWMT, you export the models in one step and the materials in another. I've done this because I often work on the materials a lot after the model and this means you don't have to export everything over and over (just materials or model). Note, however, that any change at all to the material paths or material names means that the materials AND models need to be exported again.

Hopefully this helps.

If not, share more details about your settings.

Akaihana

Hi,

thank you for your quick answer. I am downloading and installing the last service pack of my 3DSMax version.

I have exported my material in addition of my model using the button "export textures" (I needed to resize my TGA to a 2 multiple).

I will try again when i will finish to install the last package from scratch but if my creation of folders was correct, why my model didn't appear in the hammer source when I wanted to select it to apply on my entity?

Regards

wallworm

Quote from: Akaihana on April 29, 2013, 11:17:26 AM
...but if my creation of folders was correct, why my model didn't appear in the hammer source when I wanted to select it to apply on my entity?

I am confused. Isn't the example you posted above showing your model in the model browser? It is there except that it has no textures. The missing textures is likely because WW exported the VMT (material) but not the textures (TGA>VTF) because the image dimension is wrong. The Valve texture compilers won't work on incorrect dimensions.

Resize your TGA files and then export the VTF again... it will probably work then.

Akaihana

No, the posted example was when I moved my created file in a "wrong" folder (see image n°4) where all my "default props" are. If I don't write and compile the model here, it won't appear in my hammer source, or I don't know how to do the link with.

Akaihana

To make simply:

I was able to see my prop in the hammer source but with no textures only when I exported the model in a "wrong" folder : Counter Strike Global Offensive/csgo/models 

If I export my prop in the "good" folder : Counter Strike Global Offensive/sdk_content_modelsrc, I got nothing in the hammer source.
Resize your TGA files and then export the VTF again... it will probably work then.
My TGA files are 512*512.

Akaihana

Hum I am sorry I didn't mention a error in the compiling report which can maybe be the answer:

When I export the model, I have in the dos window at the end of the compile : WARNING: Reference Count for Material ___error <1> !=0

I applied a Multi/Sub object material on my object with standard material:

The first one :

The second one: (Multi Layer selected in Shaders Params)

Thank you

wallworm

The following message:

WARNING: Reference Count for Material ___error <1> !=0

Is normal in CSGO. It is something behind the scenes that is a problem in the CSGO compilers themselves. You can ignore that warning as it means nothing.

Regarding the problems still... I see nothing particularly wrong.

In WWMT, open your model and then click the VMT Dir button in the main rollout. See if the VMT file exists there. Paste the contents of that VMT in this thread.

Akaihana

Hi,

I am seeing that I have no VMT or VTF files when I am exporting my textures. Here screenshots of my results:

Everything seems correct, I don't understand.

Thank you very much to take your time to help me with my problem.

Regards

wallworm

I think the problem is that you Game Info Dir is wrong. Try changing it to the csgo folder.

For example, here are all of my settings:

modelsrc:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\modelsrc

materialsrc:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\materialsrc

mapsrc:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\maps

Bin Dir:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin

Game Info:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo

After making a change, you will need to re-export the models and textures.

[Edit] When I posted this the materialsrc folder was wrong (pasted wrong path).

Akaihana

Hi,

All the link are the same than you now but still not exporting the vmt and vtf files but I resolve this problem with an other software : VTFEdit. I created these missing files directly in the folder using the .tga I had inside and now the model and the texture appears in my hammer source. Just look weird so I will try to change and improve this :).

Thank you again for helped me, I will come back if another prob comes or when I will finish my map for advices. Overall, you created a very nice tool for Hammer and thank you for this.

Best regards

wallworm

Note that when I first posted the post above, I pasted the wrong path for the material source folder.

Otherwise, I am sorry you are having problems. I have had no such problems with CSGO across 4 computers nor anyone else I know. So my best guess is that it is still a path setting error.

In any event, thank you for the compliment. I look forward to seeing what you make.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk