vis.exe is very slow

Started by tawdarky, May 24, 2013, 09:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tawdarky

While compiling the map wich is not big at all vis stops just before the 9th step of portalFlow.What does vis really do cause if i run the map without it the map still works.And what can cause it to be so slow?There are no leaks in the map btw i already checked for that.And what's the limit of props i can use in a map?I got about 20 props and i will need to use a lot more.About 600 prop_static i will need.

wallworm

The most common culprit for exceptionally long VIS is by not using func_detail. Essentially, ALMOST ALL world geometry that does not need to cut VIS up should be converted to func_detail. WW has some special tags for these in Anvil > Tags. Convert the appropriate objects to func_detail.

tawdarky

I don't undestand what exactly i need to make func_detail.I saw something about func_detail on other forums but i don't know what exactly should be converted.

wallworm

Quote from: tawdarky on May 24, 2013, 06:56:22 PM
I don't undestand what exactly i need to make func_detail.I saw something about func_detail on other forums but i don't know what exactly should be converted.

Essentially, any world brush geometry that is small, and most non-rectangular brushes, should be turned into func_detail. If you have a bunch of items close together that are candidates for func_detail, select them all at once and choose Group Func Detail in Anvil.

Things you commonly turn into func_detail: windowsills, columns, rubble, etc.

Do not do this for models (wwmt models, WW proxies or other point entity objects).

I'll add some reference material on the docs when I get enough time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk