Can't find steam app user info error.

Started by CarbonCopyCat, February 14, 2014, 03:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarbonCopyCat

I'm very new to using Wall Worm, so forgive me if this isn't an actual problem, but whenever I attempt to create textures (vtf's) from any brush or object, a window appears as in the attachment. However, it does say that the materials exported properly, and a .bat, .tga, and an empty .txt file do appear in the specified folder with the name of the texture. The only problem I seem to run into when compiling the map (may be unrelated) is that the .bsp file does not compile at all (the box is ticked, and instead of compiling, a command prompt window shows up of the location of the .vmf), and the .vmf does not have textures when I open it up in hammer. In the case that the error is just harmless and it is instead an issue with the settings, I will list them just in case.
sdk_content: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\chaos5701\sourcesdk_content
MaterialsSrc: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\chaos5701\sourcesdk_content\tf\materialsrc
MapSrc: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\chaos5701\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc
Bin Dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\chaos5701\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin
Game Info: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf

wallworm

I have never had this error but recently helped another new user figure this out... but I think that his problem was that he had a totally incorrect Bin path. Your BIN path looks correct to me for pre-steampipe TF2. After steampipe, that address is probably here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin

Note that the easiest way to get the correct paths for your mod are to open the settings window, hit the Import button at bottom right, and browse for this file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\GameConfig.txt .

There will be a new preset entry in your settings for TF2. Click it and the settings will change to reflect the paths.

Hopefully this solves your dilemma.

If not, here is something on the VDC wiki:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Can't_find_steam_app_user_info

CarbonCopyCat

Thanks, using the GameConfig.txt seems to have cleared everything up, and the map compiles correctly as well.  :D

wallworm

As you mention that you are making a map with WW, I'd be happy to see screen shots of your progress and for you to talk about your journey. Using Max as a replacement for Hammer has been a longtime goal of mine personally, but it seems few others are as cheery about this as I am. I'd be interested in you chronicling your journey.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk