Entities and Brushes

Started by CarbonCopyCat, March 15, 2014, 09:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarbonCopyCat

This may just be the way that Wall Worm is coded, but when placing entities with Wall Worm (both Brush entities and Point entities), the dropdowns in the entity options seem to be composed of numbers instead of words (for example, with func_brush, 0 for toggle, 1 for never solid, and 2 for always solid.) I've already solved most of it myself (decoded, if you will), but I'm a bit too lazy to go refer to my list whenever I'm stuck on something.

Also, I know that the source engine only supports convex brushes, but in Wall Worm, there seems to be an option to set a brush as concave (Wall Worm Level Design -> Set as Concave Brush). What I'm wondering is what it does, as unless it's an option for something outside of Wall Worm that Wall Worm supports (such as Convexity), it functions exactly the same as the normal "Set Selection as Brush Geometry" (even up to having Hammer state that it's an invalid solid).

Thanks for answering questions, as usual  ;D

wallworm

You're in luck... I have your answers :)

Regarding the entities showing numbers instead of labels, this we a temporary bug in the Entity Parser. It is fixed in the current version of WW. However, you may not notice it being fixed because of how entities work.

To optimize the entity system, all entity Custom Attributes definitions are written only when the FGD file is changed or you manually reparse the FGD. So even though WW has fixed this problem, your entities are incorrect. You can fix this by going to the global settings and hitting reparse FGD.

Note that custom attributes on existing objects will still be incorrect in existing scenes. You can fix this after reparsing the FGD by running this in a scene with existing entities--open MAXScript listener and run: wallworm_update_all_entities()

Regarding the concave brushes. This is a convenience function in WW. The brushes must still be convex... but can be composed of multiple convex elements (like a collision hull needing the $concave setting in a model). I did this so you can collapse a bunch of brushes into a single editable poly and work on them as one object... and they will still export as valid brushes. I didn't do it automatically in the VMF exporter because it can be computationally intensive to detect this... so I leave it up to the user to know to tag it manually.

Hopefully this helps/makes sense.

CarbonCopyCat

Thanks for your help, it's a lot more convenient with the proper entity options. Makes sense for the concave brushes, I was wondering why corvex was able to export multiple entities on one object and I couldn't do it myself; makes my scenes much tidier.    :D

wallworm

Just a tip: the Concave Brush option is convenient for working on a bunch of brushes as a single object in Max. But if you need to assign different entities to different parts, those different parts will need to be detached. A "Concave" brush can have no more than one entity applied to it, and will be applied to all parts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk