Counter Strike Source

Started by Envoy, August 09, 2013, 02:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Envoy

Hi there, I haven't posted on here in quite some time. My question is pretty simple.

I've been having trouble getting models to export from 3ds max, and I presume it's usually my fault for not knowing much about 3ds. How important is having Counter Strike Source for importing/exporting with the source engine? It's usually the go-to thing for textures and other sorts of things.

I've owned Half Life 2 and TF2 through the Orange Box for the longest time, and with Garry's mod they've been sufficient, but I'd always be missing a texture or something with certain servers. And I couldn't find a GameConfig.txt in the bin of my Half Life 2 folders. I'm just wondering if I set WW up wrong or something.

wallworm

I guess I need more clarification here about what you are asking.

What, specifically, are the problems you are having exporting models? CSS is not required for exporting into Source... it is only required for exporting into CSS.

Garry's Mod is a little different in that it kind of sits on the back of the mods you have installed. It's been a couple years since I tested out the process of setting up WW for Garry's mod so I don't remember the exact steps, but I know I made a video on it once as well as there is setup info on the forums somewhere. If memory serves, you just need to set the paths correctly.

Regarding missing textures based on the server you go to... well that is most likely due to the way that a mod's textures are stored and served. Assets like models, textures, sounds, etc, will not automatically get pushed from the server to a client unless the server is both configured to do that and the map referring to the assets has a RES file that lists the assets as downloadable content. That's how you get custom assets to distribute.

When it comes to core assets inside a specific mod, the assets are PAKed into PAK file of VPK files provided by Valve or the mod developer. Those assets are not downloadable (their PAK files can be gigabytes in size). When using those assets, only the people who already have the PAK or VPK file by pre-owning the mod will see the asset.

Remember, re-using an asset from an existing mod saves the client from downloading assets, but does make your map/model/etc succeptible to being broken if the referenced asset is changed or deleted in the core (I have a map for CSS that referenced a certain detail model on displacements in CSS; after a certain CSS update, the dry grass that had been the model was all of a sudden a fern-like model!).

But again I wasn't 100% clear that the missing textures you are seeing on some servers is on your end or it is on the end of others using your assets?

Please share more input. If you solve your setup problem, please share the steps for other users.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk