Basic bones issue

Started by NinjaCatfish, September 24, 2013, 02:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinjaCatfish

Hi,

I'm completely new to Source modelling, so this is probably a simple thing I'm missing, but I've been racking my brain for weeks and been unable to solve this issue.

Essentially I've made a stupidly simple mesh in 3ds Max, which includes a weapon_bone object. I've "Select and Link"ed the weapon_bone to my item mesh, and then exported the model.
It is able to open fine in Source SDK Model Viewer, and in TF2's Test Map, however it seems to appear at the character origin, rather than in the character's hand as I am expecting.

Is there something special I need to do in the QC, 3ds Max or WWMT to get this working properly?

wallworm

By default, WWMT only exports objects assigned to the model... and since the bone is only linked, it isn't exporting. The best solution is probably to remove the link and apply a Skin modifier to the weapon and then assign the weapon bone to the skin... then re-export.

NinjaCatfish

Doing it via the Skin Modifier has worked, thanks so much!

wallworm

For reference, using Link can work too but can be problematic (at times). You have to assign that bone to the WWMT UI or via the Bone Tools UI. The Bone Tools is in Wall Worm > Wall Worm Model Tools > Bone Tools.

But generally speaking, your best bet is just the Skin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk